simple equations

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
adhdad

simple equations

Post by adhdad »

hello all, 3t = t + 3

I know the answer is 1.5 , can you get to this answer by trying to work out the letter t ie by doing the same to both sides of the equation to work the answer out or is it a little trial and error with different numbers fot t. thanks in advance to u all, maths not my strong point. :D
sbarnes

Re: simple equations

Post by sbarnes »

You got it, letters to one side, numbers on the other.

To get rid of the single t on the rhs, what do you have to do, subtract a t. What is done on one side of the equation has to be done to the other, therefore subtract a t from 3t, this leaves 2t on the lhs. So letters on LGS, only numbers on the rhs.

Good luck
russet

Post by russet »

Yes. Take t from both sides so you have 2t=3. Then divide both sides by 2.

May I suggest the following if explaining it to your child:

Draw scales with 3 square boxes marked t on one side of the scales and one a box marked t and 3 small circles on the other.

You are trying to find how many circles each box holds and the scales must always balance.

You can take one box from each side.

You are left with 2 boxes one side and 3 circles on the other side.

You can then divide the circles into 2 equal portions of 1 1/2.
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

Thanku both posters, thats made it so much easier.
moved

Post by moved »

I would teach this pictorially.
Draw a rectangle and write 3t inside, cut rectangle into 3 parts, each part with t
Draw an identical rectangle underneath cut into two parts: one the same as above and write t in that part, write 3 in the other part.
Your child can then clearly see that the 2t parts are the same as the 3 part.

This is the preferred method in UK maths and is also referred to as bar modelling or Singapore strips. I've always taught this way in KS2 and at 11+, which is perhaps why I like it. :mrgreen:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

moved wrote:I would teach this pictorially.
Draw a rectangle and write 3t inside, cut rectangle into 3 parts, each part with t
Draw an identical rectangle underneath cut into two parts: one the same as above and write t in that part, write 3 in the other part.

This is the preferred method in UK maths and is also referred to as bar modelling or Singapore strips. I've always taught this way in KS2 and at 11+, which is perhaps why I like it. :mrgreen:
Thanks moved, you've just made my next few days much easier!
:D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

moved wrote:I would teach this pictorially.

The bar method is not taught at secondary -
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

There are many things that are not taught, but make better sense to my child than modern school methods. Luckily I can still remember and therefore teach the older years methods, it works.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now