Tiffin Girls 2015 exam information?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Strontium

Tiffin Girls 2015 exam information?

Post by Strontium »

Having posted that DD got into Tiffin, I've received a number of emails asking me for details of the exam/revision techniques. Rather than replying individually I wondered if I should post info here, but is that inappropriate or against forum rules and etiquettes? Would welcome some direction from moderators and members.
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Girls 2015 exam information?

Post by tiffinboys »

Please do post. No more late sittings.

The format for the tests in 2015 are changing and final arrangements would be announced in April 2015. Both TS and TGS has proposed to do away with NV/NVR tests. Instead stage one would also be Numeracy/Literacy tests. Stage 2 would b standard format English/maths tests.

Any detail and guidance about TGS stage 2 tests would be useful.
Greenumbrella

Post by Greenumbrella »

My DD has received a Tiffin offer, much to our surprise as she thought she'd done terribly on the Reading Test.

She goes to a bog standard state school and wasn't tutored for Stage 2, although I did go through some English and Maths test papers for 3 weeks prior to the exam (downloaded from private school websites). She is naturally bright and self-motivated, but certainly not academically gifted.

She is very able at maths and enjoys playing puzzle apps, which she chooses to download herself. Looking back, I think the best thing I did to assist her for Stage 2 was to have always encouraged her to read a wide variety of books, so she is comfortable with different genres. Ultimately this has given her a strong vocabulary and the ability to infer.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Congratulations greenumbrella. I hope your daughter enjoys life at Tiffin Girls' (if you accept the offer, that is!)

I would strongly agree with you about copious reading being the best and most natural preparation for both the reading and creative writing tests. We don't know what will come up each year, especially as the format of the first stage test is changing, and I'm sure the school will also keep changing the type of content - but getting our offspring to lose themselves in any kind of book can only be a good thing. Oh, unless you're waiting for the loo in our house, that is...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now