Appeal to Grammar School

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
meah

Appeal to Grammar School

Post by meah »

In the CAF, I applied for a local authority grammar school in Essex for my 11 year old son for his secondary school as first preference. He was never allowed to sit the 11plus entry exam as we are out of the catchment area. The school is oversubscribed and I am in the process of appealling. The school is 4.4 miles from where I live. My son has been selected to sit the SATs for English and Maths at level 5 and 6 at his primary school.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
scary mum

Re: Appeal to Grammar School

Post by scary mum »

Surely you can't get a place at a grammar school without sitting the exam? Unless it is only partially selective (sorry, don't know the Essex schools)?
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Could this be LB of Redbridge? They restrict testing to catchment residents in the first instance.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sally-Anne wrote:Could this be LB of Redbridge? They restrict testing to catchment residents in the first instance.
And subsequently... They say that those not in the common admissions area (or whatever they call it) will be allowed to sit the test if the schools cannot be filled with I/C applicants. But then helpfully add that the likelihood of this happening before a hot place turns to ice is precisely zero. I am not paraphrasing very much here :shock: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Is that even allowed? I thought everyone had to be allowed to sit - like in Bucks??!?
meah

Post by meah »

Booklady wrote:Is that even allowed? I thought everyone had to be allowed to sit - like in Bucks??!?
My son wanted to take the 11plus test for Ilford County Grammar School but LB Redbridge prevented him from doing so.

I'm not sure if they're allowed to discriminate against children who live outside the common catchment area to prevent them from sitting the test.

If anyone knows please let me know.

Is it worth mentioning this in the appeal?
hempsteadlad

Post by hempsteadlad »

I too think that was illegal. Surely it would be against the Greenwich Judgement, which does not allow schools to discriminate against those who do not live with a named borough. Why do you not talk to the Office of the School's Adjudicator.
copella

Post by copella »

If the school has an inner catchment area and only allocates places to those outside this when there are no more on the inner catchment waiting list, then it seems highly unlikely and as Toadmum says a certain hot place would have to freeze over first. I can't see the point in appealing as nothing will come of this. Maybe I am wrong and someone else will correct me. At latymer there is a catchment area and no places are ever allocated out of this as so many within catchment apply and pass. Isn't this the same?
meah

Post by meah »

Are they legally allowed to do this?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Whilst not in the spirit of the admissions code, I suspect that if they say those ooc can sit later if there are places still available, they just about stay on the right side.

However I'm not an expert on the schools admissions code, so hopefully someone with more knowledge can either confirm my understanding or put me right.

However if you feel it goes against the code, then you can take it to the OSA to investigate.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now