Birkenhead High exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NotionPotion

Birkenhead High exam

Post by NotionPotion »

Hello Wirral, (a posting at last!)
Spent most of last year preparing daughter for the 11 plus, now taken and enduring the long wait like most of us but in the meantime I am putting her in for the Birkenhead High exam despite all the future changes as a "just in case". Trouble is I am actually a bit vague about what is contained in the exam and what sort of standard it equates to (ie Is it just like the SATS tests-standard wise?)
I Know they do some verbal reasoning but in standard format.
Any advise gratefully received.
Thanks
nb:- Happy New Year to you all!
wirralnumbers

BIRKENHEAD HIGH

Post by wirralnumbers »

My daughter is sitting Birkenhead High and Birkenhead School! As far as I am aware as well as an 11+ type paper there are also English and Maths papers.
Birkenhead School provide past papers. (BHS don't) and their English paper is basically a comprehension and the Maths is not as scary as the 11+

As this is the last selective intake for Birkenhead High (in fact the last year AS Birkenhead High) it is not clear what the application numbers are likely to be although Birkenhead School's appear to have doubled.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

Thanks Wirralnumbers. That gives me a better idea to work from. As a matter of interest how does it work when going in for the Boys School exam and the Girls School. Is it the case that the exams are on the same day?!
Also has your daughter applied for Grammar School too?
wirralnumbers

BIRKENHEAD HIGH

Post by wirralnumbers »

Hi

The exams are supposed to be at the same time (because this was agreed before all the changes) but for girls ""wanting" to do both exams Birkenhead have moved their exam to the Monday. (BHS is on the Saturday)

Yes she did the 11+ and Upton Hall so this is turning into some year of exams.

Upton Hall is her clear favourite though
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now