What to do and where to go in NY?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catseye

What to do and where to go in NY?

Post by Catseye »

We have booked a week break in Oct 2015(Half-Term) in New York, would appreciate your experiences and advise on the above apart from the usual Theaters, Museums, shopping ect, thanks in advance
scary mum

Re: What to do and where to go in NY?

Post by scary mum »

Walk down the High Line and then wander down towards the Ground Zero area stopping off at cafes and enjoying the atmosphere. Avoid Times Square unless you really feel you must see it (it's just a crossroads). Visit the Ellis Island museum. Wander around Central Park, have a picnic & people watch. I love it but know those who hate it!
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:I love it but know those who hate it!
Really, scary? How very odd they must be! :wink:

I think whether you love it or hate it, it will be a fabulous experience for you all. Have a great time.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

No advice, very envious as I'd love to go. Bet you will have a fab fab time! Don't forget to go for an American breakfast in a diner or two. And if it were me and I could get a bit of ME time I'd love to do the sex and the city tour! How shallow!
Have a great tome
KB

Post by KB »

Trip on the ferry gives a good view and feels a bit more 'local'.

Second Central Park for getting a feel of the City.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:
scary mum wrote:I love it but know those who hate it!
Really, scary? How very odd they must be! :wink:

I think whether you love it or hate it, it will be a fabulous experience for you all. Have a great time.
:lol: :lol:
scary mum
estelle

Post by estelle »

I am sure you will have a fantastic time. We went at October half term last year -the weather was very good & we did lots of walking. One of our best days was a trip on the IKEA ferry to Red Hook for lunch followed by a walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge. On the Brooklyn side there is a great food market & ice cream shop. We also enjoyed the High Line, looking around Central Station & spent an evening at the Jazz Standard watching a jazz show & having dinner in the restaurant upstairs. All the usual museums/art galleries are great. Be sure to book if you want to go up the Empire State Building. We also took in the Museum of Maths which is very hands on & fun if your children like maths!

We would count it as one of our best holidays ever!

Estelle
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Empire State for the view. Get there early and don't bother if the top is in cloud.
Central park - we hired bikes to get round it all.
Ground Zero.
Staten Island Ferry.
FAO Swartz to see the big piano from 'Big' - there are regular performances these days.
Tiffany - just for a look! It is amazing how much people will pay for some really tasteless bling! If you buy something you can be lucky and get Champagne
We really liked South Street Seaport the first time we went but it had been totally wiped out by the hurricane on our second visit. Hopefully that has been rebuilt.
Nice view of Statue of Liberty from Battery Park
MOMA
Grand Central Station. Splash out on a cocktail at The Campbell Apartment - beautifully Art Deco.
There is a fabulous diner near Grand Central called Pershing Square - be prepared to queue.
The Rockefeller Center tour and Top of the Rock are really worth it. Like the Empire State you need to get there early to avoid huge queues.
We splashed out and got tickets for Phantom on Broadway - 10th wedding anniversary trip.
We had great steaks at Sparks Steak House - location of a famous mob hit apparently - but should have ordered one between 2 as the portions were insane and it was a bit depressing watching so much uneaten food going back to the *********.

You will have a great time - we hope to take DD next year.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Second everything as above, but would add an ice hockey game..
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

thanks all for your suggestions.

both my OH and I are 50 this yr :shock: so we are splashing out a little plus been together for 20yrs and still going strong :D despite what our our parents told us, I'm CofE and Black and OH Jewish and white as snow.

there is beauty in diversity, my children prove it :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now