Westcliffe Boys School- opinions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ayesha11

Westcliffe Boys School- opinions

Post by ayesha11 »

Hi,

Does anyone have sons at Westcliff and could they let me know what they think of the school more from a pastoral care and the general atmosphere of the school,

Do they have many activities at lunch time for the boys? I understand many boys travel from far does that affect the social aspect of school and weekends

We are in the process of confirming our place however it would be an hours journey each way!!!!

Pm me if easier

any opinions would be appreciated :D
pinkrabbit38

Re: Westcliffe Boys School- opinions

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Can't speak for Westcliffe but our son is in year 7 at Southend boys. He travels in from Chelmsford and apart from a couple of hiccoughs he has had no problems. He takes part in clubs at lunch time and does some of his homework on the bus.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Also not a Westcliff parent, I'm afraid, but we did give it serious consideration for DS2 although in the end he decided on Southend.

A lot of people found the last HT at WHSB somewhat intimidating, but according to a friend whose son is in year 13 pastoral care under his leadership was actually very good and I haven't heard her say otherwise of the new Head.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ayesha11

Post by ayesha11 »

Thanks for that also do you think an hour journey each way is feasible for the boys, we would move closer to the school in two years cannot at the momment as I have a younger son.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ayesha11 wrote:Thanks for that also do you think an hour journey each way is feasible for the boys, we would move closer to the school in two years cannot at the momment as I have a younger son.
I suppose it depends on how that hour is spent; if it involves multiple legs with tight changes then I would think it rather stressful. On the other hand a bus or train and a walk with friends (lots of OOC Westcliff Boys and Girls use the C2C line to Chalkwell) could be quite congenial.

Do you definitely not want to move your younger child, or have you looked into changing schools and not found one with spaces in the right year group?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

ayesha11 wrote:Thanks for that also do you think an hour journey each way is feasible for the boys, we would move closer to the school in two years cannot at the momment as I have a younger son.
Hi

firstly, if you are considering moving, then move now so it becomes in-catchment for your youngster when it is his turn.

My son is at WHSB since sept 2014, so he is in current year 7. He travels to school by coach, pick up at 7:10 am and returns to stop at 16:45pm. It is a long day but he is used to it now (only complained a 2-3 mornings) . He has made many friends, both girls and boys, on ths coach and across all year groups. On ocassions he has done some homework whilst he is travelling.
The school, I believe, sets the right amount of homework he has not struggled with this so far. It comes across as a strict school, however I have only heard of a handful of lunchtime detentions being handed out. There are many activities at both lunch and after school for the boys to take part in. DS has stayed back on Fridays to do rugby (never played before and a small lad) and has started cricket( his main sport) since half term. Also you will find other parents in the same situation so you may be able to arrange sharing the "taxi service" for activities/trips.
It will become what you make of it, ours has been a very positive experience.
ayesha11

Post by ayesha11 »

Thank you Hopefuldad very useful, yes my son will have a similar time journey from Redbridge too , I have also noticed there are quite a few parents from redbridge which is always useful to know that many boys do have a similar journey time.
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

I have 2 DS at westcliff - year 11 and 8. We have very few complaints or concerns about the school and the boys are both very happy there. They do work them very hard and have high expectations of both their behaviour and their work. Mine travel 45 mins on the bus and it isn't a problem at all. If they stay late for sport they catch the train instead. Most music activities seem to be at lunch and there are plenty of other lunchtime clubs too. The pastoral care is pretty good and any issues we've encountered have been dealt with swiftly. It's a great school and we would choose it again - well done on getting a place!
pleased as punch

Post by pleased as punch »

Can not rate SHSB highly enough for care, support and general 'feel' of the school. They add many little touches that makes you feel like they actually care for the boys and know them as individuals. I have sent you a PM with more detail.
Congratulations to your son. :D
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

pleased as punch wrote:Can not rate SHSB highly enough for care, support and general 'feel' of the school. They add many little touches that makes you feel like they actually care for the boys and know them as individuals. I have sent you a PM with more detail.
Congratulations to your son. :D
We love SHSB, too :D . But the OP was asking about Westcliff?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now