how much would you concentrate on extra activities in year 5

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bibi_a

how much would you concentrate on extra activities in year 5

Post by bibi_a »

how important is the extra activities for the 11plus exams , for example music, elocution etc.
We have reach a grade 2 in music and thinking of stopping now as there is a lot of work on the academic side.
ToadMum

Re: how much would you concentrate on extra activities in ye

Post by ToadMum »

bibi_a wrote:how important is the extra activities for the 11plus exams , for example music, elocution etc.
We have reach a grade 2 in music and thinking of stopping now as there is a lot of work on the academic side.
Unless you are applying for music scholarships at independent schools, the music lessons are of no direct use when it comes to the 11+. However, is your DC merely having the lessons because they are 'useful', or does s/he actually enjoy them? I would also ask yourself whether an academically selective school is the right place to be aiming for, if the only way to get there is by abandoning everything not directly related to passing the entrance exam? All the grammar schools I am familiar with are justly proud of the extracurricular activities and achievements of their pupils, both in and out of school (and don't see sport, music, drama etc as being a hindrance to academic achievement - they expect their pupils to be able to do both).

If you and your DC are sure that the 11+ school is the way to go, then please have confidence in him / her and don't give up all the fun things :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
salsa

Post by salsa »

+1 and I'd like to add that music is not only 'food for the soul' but it also aids cognition and playing an instrument and reading music has been found beneficial when delaying the onset of dementia.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

I urge you not to stop his music lessons as playing an instrument improves levels of concentration amongst other things.
Last edited by zeinab on Sun May 31, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
copella

Post by copella »

If your child likes the activities I would not stop anything. In the year my ds took his, he was playing, rugby, football and cricket had swimming lessons and played the saxophone and keyboard. He made room for all of these as they were all important to him and regardless of the result he would continue with them. Don't pursue activities if you think they will give your child the edge it just isn't worth it, only do it if they enjoy the activities.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

+1

My two did a wide range of sport/dance/music/etc activities before the 11plus and have continued since - they probably do even more now. Apart from dropping swimming which they only did because I made them...

They'd have been furious if I'd made them stop doing all the things they really enjoyed to do - eughhh - pure unadulterated studying. We all need a balance of activities and interests to keep us sane and keep our brains connected and active.
Colmans

Post by Colmans »

If DC enjoys the music then encourage them to continue. Learning to play and read music is a great life experience. It will also be a good escape from the 11 plus pressure which will build. As with previous posts, having other interests should be encouraged.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

In my experience extra curricular activities were complimentary to 11+ study. My DD continued ballet, swimming, violin, netball and choir throughout her Yr5. She did Bucks test on Thursday, came back and went for swimming in the evening. Next day, Friday, full time school, ballet in the evening, playing in the park on Saturday morning and Kendrick test in the afternoon.
We never thought of discontinuing any of her activity. Free play in the local park was very important for my DD. It helps her improve her concentration.