Present for 13 year old boy... Ideas please!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Present for 13 year old boy... Ideas please!

Post by loobylou »

Hello! My friend's son (also my godson) turns 13 shortly and he is very very difficult to buy for! He doesn't really like anything. He is really quite bright but doesn't like school or working. He doesn't really read - I have spent many years finding books he might like and he does enjoy army type books but doesn't read many of them. His only hobbies are playing computer games - or sports. He loves rugby and cricket and spends lots of time playing those. I have had some success buying amusing rugby/cricket related gifts in the past... Any ideas??!
scary mum

Re: Present for 13 year old boy... Ideas please!

Post by scary mum »

A new cricket bat? Or a decent cricket bag with wheels? New helmet? New cricket whites? He's probably growing like a weed - mine seem to need new kit every year and it's such a short season! These are all things my 13 year old would like.
scary mum
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

How about a driving lesson for youngsters?

This is just one company but they are all over the place

https://www.youngdriver.eu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tickets to a cricket match? Going to a first class ground for a one-day match or, if he's interested, a county match would be good.

Cricket day? Many counties offer an indoor coaching day which my DS enjoyed at that age.

If he's sporty then what about an activity day or a session learning a new sport?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Decent cricket bats are really expensive and also quite personal. You can get stuff like cricket caps and gloves and things though and some are quite cool. Some of the trendy cricket brands do nice bags too. My cricketer likes kookaburra.

Or what about a pedometer wristband/watch? My 13 year old has one and loves it. I'm not sure what brand it is but it has a digital watch which you have to press to light up - it looks like a black bracelet until you do - and also measures steps, heart rate and other things.

A gorilla pod for a camera was also a popular present here.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

OOh some great ideas there, thank you. My dd loves Kookaburra for her hockey stuff too - I hadn't realised they did cricket things. (I should have added we're restricted to around £20ish) - I'm going to look at sports bags now!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Once they have their own helmet etc a wheeled bag is best - needs to be fairly big to get everything in; probably more than your budget.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Sports direct have Kookaburra cricket bags in their clearance sale online now - about £25 on quick look!
J50

Post by J50 »

Surely he will have the gear he needs, and you certainly cant buy him personal stuff like a cricket helmet or bat as you have no idea what level for example of bat he needs! And a bat can cost from £50 to £200 for a decent one...

How about:

http://www.bodylinetshirts.com/