Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BLANCA

HELP WITH TUTORS QUESTIONS

Post by BLANCA »

Hello

Can anyone help me with the following tutors questions:

q32 test 1 volume 1

In the following question the numbers in the 2nd column are formed from the numbers in the 1st column by using the same rule

6 - 6
8 - 7
10 - 8
14 - ?

answer 10

q37

In a certain month there were 5 wednesdays. The last day of the month was a thursday & the 12th of the month was a saturday. What day was the second of the month.

Answer is wednesday.

can you advise best way to explain to child how to work these out and get correct answers.

many many thanks to anyone who can help!

ps this is our first attempt at 11+ level test, daughter is year 5 got 80% is this test the right sort of level to be starting her on
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Blanca

Firstly which area/school are you applying for? 80% for a first attempt is certainly encouraging.

With regard to your 1st question..

In the following question the numbers in the 2nd column are formed from the numbers in the 1st column by using the same rule

6 - 6
8 - 7
10 - 8
14 - ?

answer 10,

I do not recognise this as a tutors VR question, it certainly is not one of the 21 types for VR that the tutors have based their CDs on, have you written the question out correctly, is it from the VR CD?

q37

In a certain month there were 5 wednesdays. The last day of the month was a thursday & the 12th of the month was a saturday. What day was the second of the month.

Answer is wednesday.

These questions are commonly known as Z questions, if you are attempting an NFER based test, there will always be 2 of these type questions on each test, I tell my students that they MUST leave these till last, as all questions only gain 1 mark and these Zs can take a while to work out.

This particular one is an easy Z. Publishers like to give irrelevant information, in order to ‘trick’ the child, in this case the first 18 words are of no relevance to the question. I tell my students to always look at the question BEFORE they read the information or start making diagrams.

So, straight to the question ..What day was the second of the month?

In a certain month there were 5 Wednesdays…irrelevant
The last day of the month was a Thursday..irrelevant

the 12th of the month was a Saturday…at last some info we need the 12th was a Saturday, take away 7 to get to the previous Saturday, making the 5th, fri =4th, thurs = 3rd, leaving the 2nd as Wednesday.

Hope this helps

Patricia
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Thanx Patricia

The questions are from a download verbal reasoning volume 1 learning together from this sight, sorry just assumed it was tutors.

Daughter will be sitting herts (watford grammar) bucks & berks.

I will show your reply to my daughter. I'm sure this will help much more than me trying in vain to explain it to her.

thanks again
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Blanca

Mystery solved

Unsure re Herts, but Learning Together is not relevant to the Bucks and Berks exam, they do not cover the full 21 types and include a number of irrelevant ones.

Take a look at the sticky in the Bucks section for publishers relevant for Bucks and any other area using NFER VR.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4782

Patricia
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

thanks Patricia,

I have ordered ips method & technique and the ips first set of tests. Silly me, I thought I had downloaded tutors e-papers will try agian. Oh my poor daughter, I can see its going to be a long year!!!

note to self - must try harder not to confuse child with wrong info!!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Blanca

At least you have found out early on in your preparation.

I found this forum a couple of years ago, someone claiming to be an expert on the Bucks 11 plus was posting totally incorrect information....I just HAD to reply!

Although I am a tutor, I post to help parents DIY.

Good Luck

Patricia
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Thanks

we are going to need It!!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi BLANCA

We would suggest that you look at the free download section of this site for the free Methods & Techniques Verbal Reasoning Course written by The Tutors which links to their free demo material, before purchasing and starting to complete any full papers.

All the Verbal Reasoning material written by The Tutors is relevant for LEAs that cover both 21 and 15 type questions written by NFER.

The e-papers cover all 21 types, however there are archive papers, possibly available from the site, that just focus on the 15 type question sets.

Regards

Mike
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

will do, thanks mike
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Dear Blanca

Don't worry you are not on your own confusing your child. I shall share this with you even though it is very embarrassing.

Last Thursday having finished my daughters hour of tutuoring she asked could she attempt some more code questions(we had done these the day before) because she said it would help her 'keep them in'. I was going out so I did say it would be better to wait until the next day but she insisted(bless her she is very conscientious) so I dug some questions out and left her with them telling her not to worry about timing and that I would check them when I got back. Just as I was leaving she called me and commented that she felt they were paricularly hard but she'd try them anyway. Off I went. When I got back I asked her how she got on and she gave me 'a look' and this is what she said.

" mum I did do them but you did a very silly thing as you left me with the WRONG answer sheet!!!"

oohps!!

Yes poor thing she said she had spent ages going through each wondering why none of her answers were listed. But not not being a defeatest she did work it out and then looked for correct sheet and did them. She scored 6/6.

Needless to say I will be checking myself from now on.

Note to me ... do ensure you check any work you set from now on so as not to confuse child!!

Thank goodness for her perceverence.

Mel
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now