ahap

GCSE options yr9

Post by ahap »

French/German
Economics- wants to know about it
Geography -likes it
Geology-does not want to do it
History-likes it
Music- even though he likes it, enjoys and good at it he does not want to do the exam.
Art - likes it, thinking about it but does not matter even if not chosen, seems to be good in a particular area, so don't know whether there is a talent there or not.
Computing- says its easy, does not enjoy it in particular. His report states he has the ability to achieve a high level in this. But he does not want to do it.
Latin- No
RE- likes it, enjoys learning about other religions and all other topics that come under it and wants to do it. But he needs to put in a bit more effort in his HW.
D&T Food-No
D&T Electronic- may be
D&T-Product design- likes it, thinking about it.
PE-No
Classical civilization-No (I am sure he'd like it, but its not necessary he says).

Compulsory subjects total =7 including MFL.

He needs to choose 5 from above but an MFL is compulsory. So he has chosen French but likes German too.

He wants to do Geography, History, RE, Economics and French and he is very sure about it. But will drop History or RE if these will take a lot of his time and choose something less time consuming.

Will the above take a lot of his time?

How about Art, Geography, French, Economics & DT product design?
or Art, Geography, History, French & Economics?
or Art, Geography, French, Economics & RE?

I don't know much about the new GCSEs. I heard that it will be tougher than old GCSEs in Maths and English and there is a different grading system for Maths and English.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by ahap on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Minesatea

Re: GCSE options yr9

Post by Minesatea »

General consensus seems to be don't do Art and a design tech subject unless absolutely passionate about them and prepared to put in hours of work. Any of the other combinations look fine.
ahap

Post by ahap »

So his original choices are good I suppose which he is really passionate about. I thought DT or Art might give him some relaxation time, he is not passionate about them though; something beautiful to draw or do seemed kind of less work for the brain but it seems they take a lot of time to do them. Thanks.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think Art & DT are anything but relaxing...
scary mum
ahap

Post by ahap »

:lol: Really?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

My son is doing art GCSE and it involves an enormous amount of work. They have to create several detailed portfolios of their work over the two years, and do a lot of research on artists and present this research in their portfolios. They have to be very organised and be prepared to spend a lot of time inside and outside school keeping their portfolios up to date. I personally think it's been a good thing for my son to do, as he has had to commit to working on a long project and keeping a continuous focus on his work. He says he wishes he'd done something easier!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry have to disagree with scarymum there!

Art is time consuming and the timing of the final exam impacts on revision lessons in other subjects.

My DS enjoyed Product design and it is a useful subject as it leaves degree options open.
ahap

Post by ahap »

The work for Art must be heaven for someone who is really passionate about it.

DS's school states pupils are strongly encouraged to take at least one art, sport or tech related subject. But DS has not chosen any of it for the moment and we have to submit it next week.
ahap

Post by ahap »

I suggested Latin to him but he is not interested in it. Is it wise to steer him towards taking it as well? But all his options are full and he does not want to drop any of it. What do I do? Would Latin give him more options/opportunities in the future?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think things like art GCSE can potentially leave people not enjoying the subject at all... bit like some dissertations on special interests... after a while it is no longer interesting.