Nfer Nelson

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

reddebs

Nfer Nelson

Post by reddebs »

Hi
I am on my 2nd round of the 11+ wheel with a son now in year 10 and a daughter sitting the Kent test next week having already passed in Medway.
I know it is very late in the day to spot this and I cannot believe I am right so thought you guys may be the answer.

With my son, I bought every type of Nfer Nelson practice paper going and for weeks he sat down and practised them until he started to tell me he had done the same paper twice.
At the time I assumed that it was because there was a database of questions and Nfer Nelson had used the same question twice but in different papers.
When my daughter started to say the same thing ( I was reusing the papers) I have looked further and it seems that they are right.
Even though I bought diffent packs way back then eg Maths only, Verbal Only, Variety packs different pack colours etc it seems that the same papers were in all of them!

Can any one enlighten me as to whether this is right or not as I now have come to the conclusion that there are only 4 papers of each type in existence and they just shuffle them around accordingly.

If I am right then I think it only fair to enlighten others as they too may be misguided as I appear to have been.
No wonder my son was getting such good marks in practice,
At least it is good for the confidence! LOL
Regards
reddebs
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear reddebs

I feel sure the variety pack does say that it is a repeat of the disciplines. This website has a note explaining the situation before you buy....

NferNelson have created around 16 papers for public sale, 4 in each discipline: Mathematics, English, Verbal Reasoning (VR) & Non-Verbal Reasoning (NVR). Multiple Choice and Standard format papers contain the same questions (but the way they are answered is obviously different, one has choices A,B,C,D,E and the other has a space for inserting the answer). Variety Packs take one paper from each discipline e.g. 1 English, 1 Maths, 1 VR and 1 NVR selected from the same 16. Standard Variety Packs contain just 3 papers: I Maths, 1 VR and 1 NVR. So please be careful to avoid duplication when making your purchases.

Please note: Thus, for instance, to get all NFER multiple-choice 16 papers you can either purchase the 4 multiple choice packs by subject or Variety Pack 1-4 multiple choice.

Patricia
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I fell into this trap 2 years ago, having exhausted the individual subject packs I bought a variety pack only to find they were the same papers. I think it could be made clearer on the outside of the pack.

With so few NFER papers available it makes it difficult to know when to use them - this time around I held back and used them nearer the actual tests.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now