Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Wildflowa

Wildflowa appeal - Bucks

Post by Wildflowa »

Hi...
Thank you so much
Very useful
I'm afraid I'm one of those parents who felt pressurised into undergoing the selection review without being fully aware of the implications of an unsuccessful review.
When I walked into my Headteachers meeting following the result she simply gave me the review form and told me the time frame.
She then told me she wasn't going to corroborate my extenuating circumstances as she hadnt been aware of them

I'm a little confused so would be grateful if someone can please help me

It says in your guidance that I would have to ask the AA to prove/ challenge that the the selection review was FCO....
In my appeal is this the only thing I write or do I have to ask specific questions....re time spent on my child's case/moderation/ etc ....or should I be getting this info beforehand from the AA then submitting my appeal

I'm really panicked as I am being rushed into this partly as the week the admission allocation came out I had my own 'professional development' stuff to sort out ...and now I'm down with a chest infection.

In brief her score was 115; HT 2.1 predicted 5s in three areas ; last CAT score was 121.... But I must be a bad mum as I just don't have any other info to hand re prev VR etc...should I contact the school for this?
She has a sibling at the GS and we are in the catchment too.
There is sibling rivalry and pressure too but there have been very difficult emotionally distressing cisrcumstnsces for the whole family.

My other concerns are:
the review panel ticked both boxes saying they felt she didn't have the academic capability ( im frankly shocked by this) nor any evidence re extenuating circumstances....then the moderation bit only ticks that there were no extenuating circumstances evidenced.
There was no corroboration from the hesdteacher as the matter was so delicate and humiliating I hadn't wanted anyone to know - although this doenst make it less valid or real.

Ok..sorry that was a lot of Qs...
I just guess I need to know do I keep the FCO bit very generic and ask QS at the hearing...or do I raise the Qs in the appeal submission.

Many thanks

Hi Wildflowa - have started a new thread so that all the info for your appeal stays in the same place - Herman
Etienne

Re: Wildflowa appeal - Bucks

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
I just guess I need to know do I keep the FCO bit very generic and ask QS at the hearing...or do I raise the Qs in the appeal submission
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=41358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • D11. To summarise Section D:

On the information available to us at present, there should be three parts to your written case, clearly set out with headings:

(i) 'Fair, consistent & objective':

You need only write "At the hearing we shall wish to query whether the Selection Review was 'fair, consistent & objective'".
      We're inclined to think that this is the best approach (to ask questions at the hearing, and not reveal in advance what they're going to be).

• However, if you have some really strong points to make now, you could go into more detail, listing your concerns ("We don't think the review process was 'fair, consistent & objective', because .........."), and adding "There may be further points we shall wish to raise at the hearing, having heard the Admission Authority's case."
      • Remember: you cannot challenge the review panel's judgement - but you can suggest there was a fault with the process.

(Ideal length: anything from a single sentence up to half-a-page)

Do not use the appeal form to ask questions - questions should be left until the hearing.

(ii) The case for qualification:
      • either "Please see our previously submitted Selection Review case and accompanying evidence" -
      • or set out your updated case.
      (Ideal length: anything from a sentence up to a page. Any supporting evidence would be additional to this, and should be attached as appendices.)
      (iii) Reasons for wanting or needing a place.
      (Ideal length: approx. half-a-page. Any supporting evidence would be additional to this, and should be attached as appendices.)
If you need more time:
    • A8. If you feel you need more time to prepare your case, fill in an appeal form, but under "Grounds for appeal" just write:

"I wish to appeal against the decision to refuse a place at ***** School. Full details of case to follow."

Provided you submit your case at least 8 school days before the hearing (or whatever deadline is given to you), there will not be a problem
I just don't have any other info to hand re prev VR etc...should I contact the school for this?
Yes
Etienne
Wildflowa

Re: Wildflowa appeal - Bucks

Post by Wildflowa »

Thank you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now