Help with with maths second paper (standard)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
katyyy

Help with with maths second paper (standard)

Post by katyyy »

Hello Everyone

My daughter will be writing entrance exam for wallignton and nonsuch school , i am worried for second paper(maths) ..please if you could suggest books or revision papers for second paper (maths)and what will be the format of the paper , how many question will appear , any suggestion /information will be appreciated. :(

Katty
Martin_Procter

Re: Help with with maths second paper (standard)

Post by Martin_Procter »

Hi,

You need to be thinking about 2 things.

Firstly, ensuring your daughter is fully up to speed with the National Curriculum Key Stage 2 (KS2) Maths. This is the government-mandated maths content to be taught at all state primary schools up to the age of 11. The document is downloadable from government sites. There are text books available to cover this. Remember, Nonsuch may test on any part of the KS2 curriculum, so you need to be sure your daughter has covered it all by the time she takes the test. That is the easy bit.

Secondly, the exam. Schools like Nonsuch will not require your daughter to know any Maths beyond KS2. BUT, they will expect her to be able to think about Maths and do potentially difficult questions that test fundamental Mathematical understanding and require good problem solving techniques. The best way to do this is to introduce her to practice 11 plus papers gradually over the months. BUT, the widely available 11 plus practice papers may simply not be difficult enough; the ones you buy tend to be aimed at the selective counties like Buckinghamshire and Kent where passing the 11 plus is significantly easier than getting in to Nonsuch. I suggest you do an internet search for the North London Girls School consortium - this is a group of independent schools that run an 11 plus exam. These papers are more difficult than the ones you can buy and are more representative of the questions that Nonsuch will be asking.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

It might be helpful if you could get this moved to the Surrey section, as this is a schools-specific question.

Good suggestion - I've moved this to Surrey
katyyy

Post by katyyy »

Dear Martin_Procter and Lady-Muck

Thank You so much ..I really appreciate your response and will follow your suggestions.

Katty
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now