Year 5 - what level for success at 11+ and selective indies

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

here'sjohnny!!!

Year 5 - what level for success at 11+ and selective indies

Post by here'sjohnny!!! »

My DD is just coming to the end of her second term of Year 5 and has just been assessed at 5C for Maths and 4A for English. I'd like her to take her 11+ for Sept 2016 entry into a grammar school and also exams to a couple of very academically selective independents, but not if she hasn't a chance of passing...

What levels for Maths and English are ideal at the end of Year 5 to have most chance of a successful application? I'm just trying to gauge if we're on track or should apply to less selective independents too.

She's very motivated and competitive, I just want her to be happy.
Daogroupie

Re: Year 5 - what level for success at 11+ and selective ind

Post by Daogroupie »

This will be very specific to the schools so you need to post in the right region and name the schools you are interested in. For some Level 4 will be enough,others will require Level 6. DG
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

here'sjohnny!!! wrote:My DD is just coming to the end of her second term of Year 5 and has just been assessed at 5C for Maths and 4A for English. I'd like her to take her 11+ for Sept 2016 entry into a grammar school and also exams to a couple of very academically selective independents, but not if she hasn't a chance of passing...

What levels for Maths and English are ideal at the end of Year 5 to have most chance of a successful application? I'm just trying to gauge if we're on track or should apply to less selective independents too.

She's very motivated and competitive, I just want her to be happy.
I would say she's spot on for taking her 11+.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Where are you based? In London? I would do a bit of extra work in English.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

If you let us know what area you are in , then I can move your post to the relevant section, she sounds as if she is doing really well.
yoyo
here'sjohnny!!!

Post by here'sjohnny!!! »

Many thanks, that's good news that she is on track.

Nonsuch,Tiffin, LEH are schools I'm looking at but also, we may move to Wiltshire so it would be SWGS or Godolphin down there.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

For boys schools in that part of the world, level 5A in maths and English at the end of Y5 (plus extra tutoring) were more than enough for places at Hampton, Latymer Upper, City of London and Merchant Taylors. I have read that the competition is worse for boys though, which is good news for your DD.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Nonsuch and LEH are girls schools, so presumably Here'sjohnny is wants ideas for girls. For LEH and Nonsuch, I think good Level 5s and exam practice will do. For Tiffins, for stage 2, level 6 and above might be considered safe. Make children read, read and read. Even the books normally read by 15-16 years old. Passages for comprehension may come from books being read at GCSE level.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Current year 5s are on the new national curriculum so I do not know how your school can quote things that sound like old nc levels.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Think of whatever is the equivalent of old level 5 etc. Level 6 was the highest given by primary schools in the old system. Not sure what replaced it else where.