Gcse - Further Maths

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Gcse - Further Maths

Post by tiffinboys »

Is Further Maths or Additional Maths available after 2017?
Martin_Procter

Re: Gcse - Further Maths

Post by Martin_Procter »

Hi,

A good short question with, I’m afraid, a rather complicated answer.

First some clarification on the status quo. The 2 words “Further Maths” mean 2 different things:
It is used to mean firstly:

A paper usually taken in year 11 to give those who do GCSE a year early in year 10 something to get teeth into in year 11. These are all separate to and “on top of” the GCSE or iGCSE exams. There are offerings from all the English exam boards:
AQA level 2 certificate in Further Maths
Edexcel iGCSE Further Pure Maths
OCR FSMQ Additional Maths
CIE iGCSE Additional Maths
Not all of these are taken widely in the UK. Not all count towards the school’s performance statistics; and those that do count might not count for ever.

I’m aware of one school in South London that doesn’t put year 10s in for early entry GCSE but nevertheless gets its brightest student to do the “AQA level 2 certificate in Further Maths” in year 11 alongside their Maths (and other) GCSEs. I know of another that doesn’t bother with these exams at all but gets those who do GCSE in year 10 to do AS level Maths in year 11. Most schools, especially state schools, do not put anyone in for Maths a year early and don’t put anyone in for any of the above qualifications.

The content of the 4 exams above vary quite a bit but, in general:
• They are mainly Pure Maths
• They include new topics on top of GCSE, many of these are also covered in the first AS module “C1”.
• Their questions are more imaginative and more focussed on problem solving than the GCSE or iGCSE.
• They don’t include any content from Further Maths AS or A level.

OR “Further Maths” can mean:

An AS Level taken in year 12 in addition to Maths AS level & An A Level taken in year 13 in addition to Maths A Level. This is advanced level content. Like the Maths AS and A Level qualification, you must choose 3 modules for AS and three for A (A2) Level. These must include some (or for some boards, all) of the “Further Pure” modules plus some “M”, “S” or “D” modules in addition to those taken for Maths. So someone doing A Level Maths & Further Maths must have selected 12 modules from the list.

Now that I’ve got that off my chest, to answer the question “Is Further Maths or Additional Maths available after 2017?” I assume we mean the “year 11 exams”:
AQA level 2 certificate in Further Maths
Edexcel iGCSE Further Pure Maths
OCR FSMQ Additional Maths
CIE iGCSE Additional Maths

Unfortunately, the answers are:

Is Further Maths or Additional Maths available after 2017? Probably YES; all the exam boards seem to be continuing with these qualifications (if anyone knows any more info, please do post on this bulletin board). Although Edexcel iGCSE Further Pure Maths seems to be only available outside the UK nowadays.

Is Further Maths or Additional Maths going to count as part of the schools’ performance tables after 2017? I don’t know, but probably NOT. There isn’t any firm information that I can find. I have seen a promise of a government decision on this in February 2015 but I can’t find the decision; maybe the answer is on the web but I haven’t been able to find it. In January 2015 the minister wrote this letter which states that they will not be counted as part of the performance changes https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n_2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I think that letter is intended to be for the “ordinary” GCSEs and iGCSEs, not necessarily these “fancy” qualifications.

Of course whether a qualification is part of the schools’ performance stats will influence each school in its decision whether or not to offer the qualification to their students.

Please, if anyone has any more information (or rumours), please post them.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

AQA info about whether their certificates in English and Further Maths count for performance tables by year -
http://www.aqa.org.uk/supporting-educat ... rtificates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thank you, MP and 2Cm.

Yes, my query was about possibility of sitting for GCSE Further maths in yr 11 and this has been very comprehensively answered by MP. Thanks.

Great if this course is offered by school, but seems that if this is not counted, then schools won't be too bothered. In that case, taking it as external might be an option.

Arising from MP's response, would AS FM be allowed to be sat for in yr 12, following GCSE Maths in yr 11? There are some news (I may have misunderstood) that AS would also be allowed after 2 years of GCSE i.e. in yr 13.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A level maths stays unchanged until September 2017 when the new syllabuses (as yet unseen) start.

Most schools aren't offering AS as not all new specifications can be co-taught with A levels.

Until we see what is on offer I don't think anyone can answer your question.

I don't rate GCSE F Maths personally ...
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi tiffinboys, just to say DD did exactly what you are talking about – maths in Y10, then AQA Further Maths GCSE (and Statistics) in Y11.

I don't really have much to add to what MP has said, other than that DD said it was different rather than harder compared to GCSE, there were some new topics and a lot of it was problem solving.

I'm not convinced of the merit of this, tbh. Why not just spend another year improving your GCSE maths…? (FYI she attends an Upper School)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks, RC and G55. Top set does fast track maths in yr10, but That is not being contemplated. It is Gcse Maths in yr 11 along with Gcse level Further Maths in yr 11. This particular child is maths freak, so I thought if Further Maths could be an option.