Progress report for appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

star72

Progress report for appeal

Post by star72 »

Hi

I posted previously stating that my son had been unable to take his test in September due to ill health. He has been given the opportunity to sit the alternative test in early May.

As was obvious, he was not allocated a Grammar place and so I am going through the appeals process

I spoke to his current headteacher last week to ask if she could give me a progress report for my son. She refused stating it was not a procedure the school got involved in. However, she did say that were the school in question to request this, she would reply accordingly.

I've lodged an appeal for WestCliff School for Boys and in the appeal paperwork they have sent to me they have stated that I should include all supporting documentation (including last school report and/or supporting letter from the child's current Headteacher.

Is this correct that the headteacher can refuse? I'm concerned that the appeal panel may not write to the school (assuming they say the onus is on us as parents to provide the letter) and as such this may impact on the outcome of the appeal.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
Etienne

Re: Progress report for appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
Is this correct that the headteacher can refuse?
Unless this is an LA controlled school, and the LA has instructed its primary school headteachers to co-operate, then yes, I'm afraid the head can decline.

However, you are entitled to a copy of any information the school has on record about your child. Asking for this academic record is not the same as asking the school to write in support of a grammar school appeal.

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm concerned that the appeal panel may not write to the school
I think it's almost inconceivable that an appeal panel would write to the school - it's not their role to gather evidence on behalf of appellants. It shows that the primary school head has little understanding of the system!
And if she imagines that by writing direct to the panel, anything she sends will remain confidential, she's sadly mistaken. Everyone involved in an appeal (the admission authority, the parents, and the panel) must finish up with exactly the same paperwork, so if she is prepared to write a letter, I see no reason why she can't give it to you in the first place.

At the hearing you could mention why there's no letter of support from the school. The fact that the guidance you've been sent says "....... and/or supporting letter from the child's current Headteacher" rather suggests that the panel are aware there are some unco-operative heads out there!

Do take time to read all the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
star72

Post by star72 »

Thanks Etienne :)

I'm sure you can imagine my frustration when the Head was telling me that I clearly didn't understand the system!

I wonder if you could also clarify something else for me please...

This is what CSSE emailed me when I asked in September what I should do in regards to appealing: 'As advised on the telephone, all of the school places are allocated in March 2015. If your son scores high enough in the test in May, he will be placed on a waiting list and will only be offered a place if one becomes available and he is next in line.'.

So am I right in appealing or should I just let him take the test and await a place? If I go ahead with the appeal, is the main reason that my son was unable to take the test in September (for which I have a medical certificate)..This is soo confusing :(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The usual advice (nationally) is to do both: submit an appeal and go on the waiting list (if eligible).

However, you probably wouldn't want your appeal to be heard without the result of the test, so I'm just wondering whether you should consider delaying your appeal submission.
(Don't worry - the end of March isn't quite the deadline everyone thinks it is!)

Could you find out when the May test result will be issued?
Could you find out when the appeal hearings are due to take place? (This information ought to be available.)
    • 2.2 Admission authorities must publish their appeals timetable on their website by 28 February each year.
Etienne
star72

Post by star72 »

Hi again Etienne

Apologies for late message...haven't been too well for the last few days :(

So here goes... KEGS appeals timetable is as follows:

If I decide to appeal, what is the timetable?
2 March 2015 - National Offer Day when parents are informed of the outcome of their application.
31 March 2015 - Deadline by when appeals should have been lodged
May & June 2015 - Appeals heard for those lodged by the deadline
Up to 17 July - Appeals heard where possible for late appeals
September 2015 - Appeals held for any appeals not heard before 22 July

And for WHSB:

The deadline for receipt of completed admission appeal documentation is 20 April 2015. Appeals will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday 12 and 13 May 2015 (provisional). If your appeal documentation is received after 20 April 2015, your appeal may not be heard before the end of the Summer Term.

I have emailed CSSE and they have stated that the test is on 6th May and the results will be despatched the week after.

Please advise further
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:I think it's almost inconceivable that an appeal panel would write to the school - it's not their role to gather evidence on behalf of appellants. It shows that the primary school head has little understanding of the system!
I see so many letters from Primary Heads to the appeals panels (usually sent at the request of the parents) which include something along the lines of "If there is any further information you would like, or help I can give in support of this appeal, please do not hesitate to contact me".

Every time I respond by hitting my head against the wall or desk (at home, when reading through the paperwork). We panel members, as Etienne says, can't gather our own evidence. That can only be done by the parents and the school they're appealing for.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Good to hear from you, Capers.
star72 wrote:So here goes... KEGS appeals timetable is as follows:

If I decide to appeal, what is the timetable?
2 March 2015 - National Offer Day when parents are informed of the outcome of their application.
31 March 2015 - Deadline by when appeals should have been lodged

And for WHSB:
The deadline for receipt of completed admission appeal documentation is 20 April 2015. Appeals will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday 12 and 13 May 2015 (provisional). If your appeal documentation is received after 20 April 2015, your appeal may not be heard before the end of the Summer Term.

I have emailed CSSE and they have stated that the test is on 6th May and the results will be despatched the week after.

Please advise further
Let me reflect on this, and I'll get back to you this evening or tomorrow.
Etienne
star72

Post by star72 »

Thanks Capers123

I understand your sentiments exactly! I have read in so many places of headteachers providing letters confirming suitability for a grammar place, progress reports etc (even when they don't fully support the grammar school conception).

Thank you Etienne, I await your reply...Just thought I'd mention that I e-mailed CSSE today to ask how many children sit the test in May and was advised that usually there are around 12-15 candidates. The results are then slotted into the waiting list according to their score.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

star72 wrote:KEGS appeals timetable is as follows:

And for WHSB:

It looks as if you will receive the result 12th-16th May.

Could you contact whoever is dealing with the appeals, and ask: "If I submit a timely appeal, is it possible for you to arrange my hearing so that it takes place after I have the received the result of the late sitting on 6th May? I understand results will be issued sometime during the following week."

If you contact them by phone, ask them to confirm their answer in writing.
If I go ahead with the appeal, is the main reason that my son was unable to take the test in September (for which I have a medical certificate).
No, that won't be sufficient. You'll need to give reasons for wanting a place:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
star72

Post by star72 »

I have sent emails to both the statutory appeals team (for KEGS) and also to WHSB (deal directly with their own appeals) and await a reply.
If I don't hear by tomorrow, I shall give them a call.