extenuating circumstances

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
03mum

extenuating circumstances

Post by 03mum »

We are heading for appeal but I am stuck on extenuating circumstances appeal configuration and what to appeal on regarding this. It is a very personal and sensitive issue and I have emailed private and confidential email box. I shall await your reply. Thanks
Etienne

Re: extenuating circumstances

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :D

The main focus of your case really ought to be academic evidence, because that will determine the outcome of the appeal, along with reasons for wanting a place

There is some advice about how to write a letter of appeal here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a rough guide, you should normally write less about extenuating circumstances than about the academic side of things.

As far as extenuating circumstances are concerned, were there any significant events in September? If so, could you just include some specific evidence relating to September in your appeal submission? There'd be no need to write much apart from "Please see appendices A, B, etc." because the evidence could speak for itself, and the panel would be able to ask for more details at the hearing.

You could also touch on all the ongoing circumstances that pre-date September - but how effective this will be depends on the extent to which her school work was affected (still in top sets? still above average SATs levels?). Here again the best approach would be to attach some key pieces of evidence and let it speak for itself. It's usually better if you let the panel draw out of you what they want to know, rather than that you drown them beforehand in information overload!

Hope this helps.
Etienne
03mum

Post by 03mum »

Etienne thankyou so much. I have been literally having kittens over this and it really is very difficult knowing how to word it correctly to get my point across but not go on too much. The head said when we discussed the referral that dd did not make expected progress, will inclusion iof that in the heads supporting letter be OK as also including year 5 report which is fantastic and all à's for effort which is in a way conflicting! I will email you again if that is OK with a brief summary of extenuating circumstances a little later if that is OK. Thankyou
03mum

Post by 03mum »

I have emailed the appeals box again with what I think I should include to keep things brief if you wouldn't mind taking a look again. The evidence regarding effected grades is as plain as day to see as dd consistently achieved at least 2 sub levels every year with the exception of extenuating circumstances. Easy to evidence. And also with regards to the CAT scores should I omit using them as they are not great, this also corresponds with the timing of events. Would the appeal panel known if our school did them or not, no one else appealing at school. Should I also omit the referral comment also, would this be deemed detrimental? Thanks again
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

I'm no expert and it's best to wait to see what Etienne will say. My thoughts are to include the cat scores as this is evidence that he hasn't been up to par which you mention is due to your extenuating circumstances. I would think it might support your appeal.

Dollyx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

including year 5 report which is fantastic and all à's for effort which is in a way conflicting!
And that is often the problem with ongoing circumstances!
If the child has a glowing Y5 report, and is on target for high KS2 levels, it weakens the case that the 11+ was affected.

The headteacher says she hasn't made the expected progress - but without a yearly breakdown of SATs levels I can't tell how serious a point this is.
with regards to the CAT scores should I omit using them as they are not great
Do we have any Y4 or Y6 CATs to compare them with?
Would the appeal panel known if our school did them or not, no one else appealing at school.
It's unlikely they would know (if no one else from the school is appealing).
Should I also omit the referral comment also, would this be deemed detrimental?
It probably ought to be included as it shows how serious things were. Who made the referral - the GP? Ideally there would be a letter to confirm this.

I'm happy to try and help with specific questions on the forum, but I'm afraid I can't comment on an appeal letter as a whole - partly because it's very time-consuming, but also because it might entail revealing information which you have given in confidence. (See the Appeals Box guidelines.)

I would encourage you to read all the Q&As to avoid making mistakes:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note one or two of the points listed here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
03mum

Post by 03mum »

Hello and thank you for your response. I understand you can't comment on whole letter don't worry, it's just I was at work earlier and copied the whole letter for my own ease to be honest as also sent to a friend.

OK. CAT tests done only in April at school so not helpful.

End of year levels except for current year 6.

Yr. 2. Yr. 3. Yr.4. Yr. 5. Current
Reading. 2a. 3b. 4a. 5c. 5b.
Writing. 2b. 3c. 4c. 4a. 5c.
Maths. 2a. 3a. 4b. 5c 5b.
Science. 2b. 3c. 3a. 4c. Blanket level 4 due to sch. new marking system

What do you think?

School gently suggested referral, happy with their judgement so gave green light. There was a particular upset as part of extenuating circumstances directly before returning to school/taking test september, I shall include that.

Thank you :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KS1 levels are average (2b) or just above (2a); so that will be a concern for a panel.

My opnion is that Year 4 levels seem a very big jump from Year 3 ... a panel will look at which school this is and its historic KS2 results and whether the TA KS2 levels are over-optimistic.
Last edited by Guest55 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03mum

Post by 03mum »

Thanks guest I have this concern too but wanted to include for the purpose of forum input and was going to go from year 3 or 4 end of year levels to demonstrate lack of expected progression. Do you have any thoughts on this? Are her current levels deemed suitable for grammar or deemed average too in your opinion. Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My concern is the erratic progress - lots one year- very little in Year 6.

From KS1 progress looks good and level 5 is OK. I think high level 5s would be better and I do think they will look carefully at the school she is at now to see whether assessments are likely to be robust.

Is the school (don't name it) highly rated?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now