How to teach a boy to type.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cam

How to teach a boy to type.

Post by cam »

Is anyone familiar with a programme, online or otherwise, that could inspire a reluctant 10 year old boy (and perhaps even his mother) to improve on the two finger typing method currently used?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

not sure if it is still available,but my children loved Timon and Pumba typing tutor.

Little grubs pop up from the letters and you have to "shoot" them by hitting the right key, it encourages them to look at the screen not the keys too and appeals to children who like computer games.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have just entered "typing games" into google andthere are lots of free online ones, they look good. I may have to try them myself as my typing is notoriuosly bad! :oops:
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I would second that!

My lot love 'Timon and Pumba typing tutor', even my 5yr old wants to play, and my 11yr old has used it quite successfully.

:D
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I have always found it quite bizarre that, in an age when so many people use computers, schools don't teach children to type. My 13 year old often has to type out English essays and other homework and it's so painful to watch him I sometimes get him to dictate it and I type it for him. I learned to type after university and it's one of the most useful things I've ever done.
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

I would recommend Songe Bob Square Pants PC CD-rom with typing tasks/ games. My children enjoyed it, and it helped them to learn to type fast!!!
I have looked on Amazon now, it costs £4.99!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GSP-Sponge-Bob- ... B0007LDI5Q
Alice
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

I would recommend 'Professor Teaches - Typing Instructor Deluxe' by Greenstreet, currently £26.99 on Amazon. It is a great CD rom which does a good job of monitoring individual progress (per finger!) and has a clear programme to work through. It aims to be fun and you can choose your own background music to play while you practice!

Sadly my 12 year old son has lost interest for the time being which is a shame because it was definitely working ... I do think being able to touch type would be very helpful to him.
cam

Post by cam »

Thank you for your suggestions, any other suggestions or comments on the programmes mentioned would be welcome.We'd previously tried an online site I'd googled but it wasn't 'fun' enough to encourage us to continue.