Today's English paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

denis denis

Today's English paper

Post by denis denis »

My son is taking the English paper today and yesterday his teacher said that he was aware there were rumours around the school that the English paper didn't really count and was only used in borderline cases (this is what I'd understood from reading on here, although I'd never told my son this). The teacher went on to say that this is absolutely untrue and that the paper IS marked with the others.

Do you think he said that to make sure they all did their best, or does the practice differ from region to region?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I always thought that the former was correct. :oops:

I'll make a few enquiries when I next go in to school. Perhaps they felt that people were gettting blase about the writing? and interpreting it as not really improtant.

Let me know if you find anything out.

I am worried now that I have misled people, i suppose we just pass these things on as received wisdom and don't ever check
cindy

Post by cindy »

My son took the test last year in Hever,Kent.

They were given several subject titles and told to pick one and write a story about that, within the time allowed.

We were told that this was used only in borderline/headmistress appeals.
although there were several heads appeal, I understand that none were granted, and all had to have the formal appeal.
In fact he never did receive a mark for this, nor was it used in his appeal,
which fortunately was sucessful.

I later had sight of this story, shown to me by the education dept at my request, I was also given a copy of it, and it had not been marked.

Hope this helps

Cindy
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think you could be right about him saying it to make sur ethey did their best. It's teh sort of thing I would do!!
cindy

Post by cindy »

Just thought I would add that I am glad they didnt use it, it was by no means his best bit of work!!

Cindy
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

The following is an extract from an email from someone in the Kent Admissions Department sent to me in October:

"Yes you are correct Maths, VR and NVR ar all multiple choice and indeed the written exercise will only be used in the event of extra evidence is required as to your child's written ability, ie in the event of an appeal by your child's headteacher."

Sounds as if it was indeed an attempt to make sure children put in some effort.

You may have seen from earlier posts that my son and his friend came home from doing their Kent practice tests (as out-of-County applicants) and announced that they wouldn't have to do a writing test. I double-checked with the Admissions department and they will have to (unfortunately!)
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

Thanks all - sounds like it was the teacher making sure they all pulled their socks up then!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now