Habs boys interview letters

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pochu

Habs boys interview letters

Post by pochu »

I thought rather than waiting anxiously for the postman today, I would phone the Habs school office. The information I got was that a lot of the interview letters are going to be sent out tomorrow. They are also going to try and send out the unsuccessful ones as soon as they can manage (which means that maybe next week!!)

A few more restless nights to go through! :?
TMW

Post by TMW »

That quick?
:shock:
Doubletrouble

Post by Doubletrouble »

Does anyone know how many boys are selected for interview and how many are offered places.
pochu

Post by pochu »

I have heard that approx 175 boys get interviewed and 100 places are offered to external applicants and 60 places to the Habs prep school applicants. They do not get interviewed, places offered on results only.
fedupmum

Habs interviews

Post by fedupmum »

I can't verify the numbers definitely other than that it is about 175 interviewed all in and 100 places are offered in total. Sounds as though they interview a third based on the results of the tests. However, if you read their admissions ( I think that is where I saw it) then going to the prep school is no automatic guarantee of a place. The boys are expected to do well in the tests - so 60 places to prep boys may be a bit high. But what do I know?! Double check on the site. Good luck! :o
lion63

Post by lion63 »

last year , there were 467 external applicants and 42 prep applicants for 150 places.

I don't know the numbers called for interview.
Talking to some of the parents on interview day, many had MT, Watford schools and QE as their first choice anyway. Chances are good if your son scores well and carries himself well at interview and has a brilliant primary school report.

A friend's son did not score very highly in the tests but still got a place albeit not a bursary or scholarship place. It is pleasing that they do put some weight in the previous school report and extra curricular activites the boy does.
pochu

Post by pochu »

I have just had a look at the back of the Habs brochure, intake numbers are:

32 places at 5+ entry
50 places at 7+ entry

Therefore making a quick calculation and presuming that all 32 from 5+ entry stay on, there are 82 boys total in Year 6 of Prep and it seems 60 of these will be offered places based on test results (no interviews as I have been informed by a friend who spoke to one of the masters after the test last Friday). Apparently they inform the parents of the Prep boys quite early on if they think their boy will not do too well in the tests!!

Therefore 100 at 11+ entry are external only - again info from friend). Hopefully we get the magic letter on Saturday!

Which school did your son go for lion63?
lion63

Post by lion63 »

I just had a look at our letter from last year. and it does not say exactly 150 boys but 'about 150 places available to external and internal applicants'.

Maybe they adjust their figures according to the year's intake.
My son does not attend HABS as we did not qualify for the bursary and he did not get any of the scholarships going.
pochu

Post by pochu »

Postman has arrived, son has been invited for interview at Habs.

Good luck to you all as well. Any interview tips for Habs would be appreciated.

:lol:
TMW

Post by TMW »

Same here, letter arrived today inviting him for interview next week, which does not give much time anyway to panic about it.
He was delighted, although as yet he and we have no strong preference as to the schools he has applied to. Just taking it as it comes for now.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now