Interesting (and sad) article on SATs

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Interesting (and sad) article on SATs

Post by loobylou »

If this is true (that children are going to be forced to resit their SATs) then this is very sad. And stupid.

https://disidealist.wordpress.com/2015/ ... -failures/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copella

Re: Interesting (and sad) article on SATs

Post by copella »

I so agree with you loobylou. I cannot for the life of me understand the purpose of this. What is the point of retaking it? is it to make them feel even more of a failure. I work with some children who just will never pass due to circumstances beyond their control. Are they going to have to keep sitting until they pass, when will they be allowed to move on? Isn't education also more than this.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I read that too, very well written and I agree completely.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I wish politicians would think. Sometimes it seems to me that they are selected for their own lack of intelligence.

And people do believe them sometimes. I had a friend whose dd was the same age as mine within a week. She was adamant that her dd had to have the same level of ability and academic potential as mine because they were the same age and, because her dd was unfortunately doing less well, that it was the school's fault. She even removed her from the school for that reason. And yet she was absolutely reaching her potential academically and doing very well socially and in every other way...
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Absolutely agree too. What a well-written and thought-provoking article, and an indictment on our academic results-driven, conveyor-belt education system.

I want to know what difference my vote is going to make in May, if any.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They used to 'encourage' secondaries to make level 3 children sit a progress test at the end of Year 7 - under a Labour government - so this isn't a new idea.

http://www.nationalstemcentre.org.uk/el ... ress-tests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Guest55 wrote:They used to 'encourage' secondaries to make level 3 children sit a progress test at the end of Year 7 - under a Labour government - so this isn't a new idea.

http://www.nationalstemcentre.org.uk/el ... ress-tests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This makes the article quoted by OP just an attempt to attack present government and Gove.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm no fan of Gove but this is not one of his ideas ... it is also lazy journalism.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

tiffinboys wrote:
Guest55 wrote:They used to 'encourage' secondaries to make level 3 children sit a progress test at the end of Year 7 - under a Labour government - so this isn't a new idea.

This makes the article quoted by OP just an attempt to attack present government and Gove.
I'm all for any attempt of obfuscation to bring this present regime down :wink: come the revolution........ "The first thing we do, let's kill all the Bankers and lawyers" only joking since
I'm a lawyer :shock:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Don't know about the bankers, but the lawyers......

Oh dear,....... :lol: :lol: