North Cestrian

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
miltonkeynes

North Cestrian

Post by miltonkeynes »

I read in MEN that NCGS had been given free school status. They didn't give much detail. Will it be in the same league as other non- selective schools. Don't know much about it but will need to look for options in couple of years
flotsam

Re: North Cestrian

Post by flotsam »

Their proposal when we went to the open day was to have an entrance test, but only to ensure that they got a broad range of ability in the intake (so 25% of places for each ability quartile or similar), with distance sorting out priorities within each band (after the looked after kids etc).

It's a nice enough school, although there was a whiff of panic emanating from the staff on that first open evening after they first announced the free school bid - I think they feared what sort of non-fee-paying barbarian hordes were about to storm the gates :wink:

Some friends went back 6 months later on and it was a much slicker and more confident affair, apparently.
Mr147

Post by Mr147 »

I am led to believe that North Cestrian going 'free' was a way of having the Trafford children who don't get into the Grammars another school of choice rather than just Wellington.

Many parents are already feeling 'relieved' that it is an alternative for those who live 1/2 mile from BCS or The Bollin but are not in catchment for Wellington...Cestrian will be offering places to local children who missed the entrance exams, and allocation is supposed to be weighted heavily to local children.

Lot's of kids who don't pass the entrance exams are as smart as many of those who do, so it's only going to enhance Cestrians reputation when they start there.

Maybe all a little 'cloak and dagger' but this is information from the 'Horses mouth'
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

You could call me a conspiracist but I find it interesting that ABGS were very interested in supporting NCGS with their application for Free School status, I wonder once a viable, non-selective ,non fee paying school, becomes available to Alty children, that ABGS will move to become fully super-selective??
miltonkeynes

Post by miltonkeynes »

Catseye wrote:You could call me a conspiracist but I find it interesting that ABGS were very interested in supporting NCGS with their application for Free School status, I wonder once a viable, non-selective ,non fee paying school, becomes available to Alty children, that ABGS will move to become fully super-selective??
You will probably think I'm really ignorant but what are super- selectives? :?:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

miltonkeynes wrote:
Catseye wrote:You could call me a conspiracist but I find it interesting that ABGS were very interested in supporting NCGS with their application for Free School status, I wonder once a viable, non-selective ,non fee paying school, becomes available to Alty children, that ABGS will move to become fully super-selective??
You will probably think I'm really ignorant but what are super- selectives? :?:
Superselectives is the description given to schools who allocate on score rather than distance so can take the top performing kids even if they live a long distance away, Non Super Sel set a passmark and then allocate on distance. There are other variations eg allocating to a catchment first then on distance or the first so many places on score then the rest on distance.
enema

Post by enema »

Out of interest, what would be the benefit of being super selective? The Alty grammars already achieve top results, are in the top state schools etc.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

enema wrote:Out of interest, what would be the benefit of being super selective? The Alty grammars already achieve top results, are in the top state schools etc.
Which tables are you looking at?

The more selective the school the higher up the league tables it is ,this give it more prestige and kudos.

The larger the pool you select from the higher it is in the league tables and the Boys school does not even feature the top 100 in terms of A level,points per entry !( the most important measure)

crikey more selective means better results , who would of thought of it ?

this is problem with selective education, take a fully selective county like Kent overall results for the whole county are pretty poor.

The usual spiel spouted by the pro-grammar brigade is- Grammars progress high achievers more than the non-selective sector , the evidence?? none imo - this is only true in Grammar areas where the top 30% are removed from the comprehensive schools like Trafford for example.
SashaO

Post by SashaO »

Been on their website today and they still show fees :roll:

Am i missing something?
Also they have entrance exams only in February.
miltonkeynes

Post by miltonkeynes »

SashaO wrote:Been on their website today and they still show fees :roll:

Am i missing something?
Also they have entrance exams only in February.
It has definitely been confirmed that it is going state but I think i remember reading that it is from September 2016- apologies if I have that wrong!