Why no DofE training in Reading School or Kendrick ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
indiemom

Why no DofE training in Reading School or Kendrick ?

Post by indiemom »

Recently I came to know that there is no DofE training done in Reading School or Kendrick. The kids interested in doing so have to take the training classes somewhere else. Is there any special reason why it's not conducted in either of these schools ? I know it's not compulsory to have such facilities but some of the Slough schools do have it in their schools I am told. That saves some extra runs to other places for the same.

I heard that there is one training programme in Woodley, is there any other place near East Reading where DofE classes are held ?
Justinterested

Re: Why no DofE training in Reading School or Kendrick ?

Post by Justinterested »

I would thoroughly recommend they join the Air Training Corps (Air Cadets) where they will be able to do D of E and so much more. Its a fantastic organisation and they will benefit hugely from all that is available. They may join in year 8 .
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Wow that will be fantastic, thanks a lot for the information, very much appreciated. I will try to find about it more in due course of time then.

This forum is simply fab.

Lots of helpful parents.

:D
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I'm sure you're already aware but I thought I'd just highlight that the ATC is a lot more than just DofE-style activity... it's directly linked to the armed forces, which might be an issue for some.
Justinterested

Post by Justinterested »

Indiemum the ATC will be like the CCF you have probably seen at the Independents you have considered. I think there is a squadron in Early. Yes it is affiliated to RAF so wear uniform and require high standards of discipline but for young people who would like to try adventurous activities ,flying and gliding, a huge range of sports, music and band, UK and overseas camps etc etc it is a wonderful organisation and all costs are very minimal.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Warks mum wrote:I'm sure you're already aware but I thought I'd just highlight that the ATC is a lot more than just DofE-style activity... it's directly linked to the armed forces, which might be an issue for some.
Yes after I got the info here I went to ATC website and found a bit more info and understood that it's more lined to armed forces which not an issue at all for us as long the boys can handle the regimental routine. Thanks for reminding though.

For me any extra curricular activity (some schools though say cocurricular activities) should be something that the DC enjoys otherwise they soon drop it, so as long as they like doing something I would like to support them as much as I can.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Justinterested,

You are right, I have seen CCF in quite a few independents but the school visit itself used to take up so much of time that didn't get much time to talk them. High standard of discipline is really good, if my boys can handle that then that will great. My boys are interested in music, already doing piano and guitar so they might like that part of ATC as well.

I saw in the ATC website about flying and gliding which sounds very interesting, they are very passionate about plane models so out of that passion if they love ATC then that will be good. Specially when they can join from Year 8. :D

My main concern will be whether they will be physically fit enough to carry on with ATC as currently they are not very athletic, they are not with too many physically challenging sports. :(

Thanks a lot for your useful tips,

IM
Justinterested

Post by Justinterested »

Not all cadets are sporty.There are many more intellectual/practical activities as well such as aeroplane model making ,map reading,quizzes and team building exercises even cooking outdoors on hexistoves.
They also get BTEC Aviation studies (worth a few GCSE s ) by passing their cadet syllabus. D of E is all part of it. There is a big social side too which is good for teenagers in single sex schools. They have events like bowling BBQs etc. You may find that your boys find a physical activity they enjoy that they havent had chance to try eg orienteering white water rafting or even parachuting.
Just in case anyone is wondering I am not an official with the ATC just a parent of a past cadet . In our experience the skills and attributes developed and fostered in the ATC gave huge advantages and opened up fantastic career opportunities (not in the forces although she is a reservist RAF Officer alongside her civilian job .)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

(worth a few GCSE s )
- not any more due to changes in GCSE equivalence rules.

Some schools don't do D of E because it's very time consuming and universities look beyond CCF/D of E as they realise the student has most of this 'organised' for them.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

We have two friends daughters (one started uni in 2014 and another is appearing for A level this year) who both finished Gold of DofE and both of them were in Kendrick. But the girls loved doing it and I have not heard them or their parents talking about any advantage for uni as such. I was simply looking for some other activities that DC can do which will help them in their lives like team building exercise, survival techniques, voluntary work etc which are good skills/ acts for life. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now