Where to start for current year 5 daughter

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kentish maid

Where to start for current year 5 daughter

Post by kentish maid »

Hi all. i am just finding my way round this web site which looks very informative. My daughter is in year 5 and attends our local primary. I understand that it is currently up in the air whether the 11 plus exam will take place in September 08 or Jan 09, although the prevailing opinion or should that be guess, is that it will be September.

My daughter is able and we cant afford a tutor so i will try some tutoring myself at home. Any suggestions about how to structure the learning, ie how long and how often should we make each session? I gather that the bond books at this stage esp re VR are not relevant. I dont wont to start with the NFER papers yet. I think the main hurdle to her passing will be eliminating silly or careless mistakes. Any tips? She does tend to rush at things without reading the question properly. She has done some tests at school re NVR, maths and VR and her scores vary enormously. It seems to be how the mood takes her. Her general school work is consistent. She is predicted good level 5's this year. :?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would make sure she has a really good grasp of teh 4 operations on maths( add, subtract divide, multiply) and can do them quickly.

There are some really good games on the web which make learning tables fun, or take a pack of cards deal 2 and get her to add or multiply them, as she gets better you can play a game of snap, first to answer gets the cards. Until then if she gets the answer she gets them , if not you do.

Also make sure her vocabulary is good. Many of the questions (eg compound words, least alike etc) need a good knowledge of words. Get her to read to you and make a note of any words she doesn't understand. You can then look them up in a dictionary together. You could also try the free demo on here 'The Tutors Vocabulary Builder' it's very good. Games like boggle and wordsearches are excellent as you get to spot specific patterns in a jumble of letters.

For NVR you need to be able to visualise shapes in different orientations , or spot patterns. Games like 'Tetris' (which you can download) are good as are jigsaws and spot the difference competitions. At this stage I would make the learning fun.

I can also recommend the free download Tutors verbal resoning Mathod and Technique. Get her to explain how she gets to an answer or to talk herself through the routine. That helps reinforce it in her mind.

Good luck. You will find loads of good information on here if you browse the site.

If I can be of any help just ask
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

you may find this thread helpful too

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=5004
kentish maid

where to start for current yr 5 daughter

Post by kentish maid »

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like there is a lot of free material available on this site and the net. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now