When and how to prepare

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tracy41

When and how to prepare

Post by Tracy41 »

Hi, Just wanted some advice please, my daughter is 9 and currently in yr 4, I recently attended parents evening, where her teacher told me her levels at present are 5C reading, literacy and maths 4A, her teacher had said she thinks my DD would be capable of sitting the 11+, but just wanted to know what is the best way to start preparing her and when, also to get a tutor or not

Thanks in advance
quasimodo

Re: When and how to prepare

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 70&t=41154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A thread on this forum for you to consider.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Or even just above this thread, there's a sticky

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=30114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

Hi, There's lots of debate about tutors on this forum - Some for and some not so positive. The key points I've gathered from posters are;

1. Do you have sufficient time to home tutor your daughter?
2. Are you relatively confident in the areas of the test?
3. Will your daughter positively respond to you teaching her?

If the answer to those questions is yes, with the correct support (this forum for example) and correct material (again widely promoted on this forum), you should be able to help her prepare for the exam.

If you're answer to one or more of the above is no, then I think finding a tutor isn't a bad idea. However, I would ask you to consider the following;

- Try to find one that is recommended - There's good money to be made in tutoring, and therefore as in any trade, there's probably a few we could do without; and
- Try to find one that has a teaching style that your daughter can work with.

Good luck.
Tracy41

Post by Tracy41 »

Thank you for the reply's

I think for the time being I will get some practice papers for her to have a look at, although she does make me laugh as she has already downloaded an app on her ipad with practice questions on
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now