Grade 5 Music Theory

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Eccentric

Grade 5 Music Theory

Post by Eccentric »

Does anyone know of a grade 5 music theory crash course that runs over the summer holidays in Bucks or Oxfordshire?
Guest55

Re: Grade 5 Music Theory

Post by Guest55 »

Aylesbury Music Centre used to offer theory lessons in term time. It might be worth asking a local music teacher?

You don't need grade 5 theory even for ABRSM grade 6 and above, you can do jazz exams instead.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Is Berkshire an option?

http://www.soundscool.org/grade-5-theory.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Yes Reading is possible. Thank you.

I hadn't realised that she didn't have to do the exam. Her teacher has said she should and I thought that an intensive course in the summer could be a good way to get it cracked.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You are fine until you 'hit' ABRSM grade 6 then you need grade 5 jazz or grade 5 theory ...
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Eccentric from what I have read in your other threads it sounds as if your daughter might enjoy the brain stretch of doing grade V theory so I'd definitely get her to do it. I think the content of the course and exam is very interesting and valuable, especially if she wants to carry on playing to a higher orchestral standard (the flute, is that right?).

However, with a pupil who really doesn't want to do theory I would encourage them to switch to the Trinity music exam board which doesn't have the theory requirement. The Trinity exams are very good and targeted well to individual instruments. The other problem with Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) music exams at higher levels is that there is a significant singing and sight-singing component in the aural tests which is not relevant to or suitable for all pupils.

I'm afraid I'm not in your area so I don't know about local theory teachers. You could possibly try to contact the ABRSM direct to see if they have any suggestions. I usually find them to be very helpful.

Good luck, Peridot.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Peridot wrote:Eccentric from what I have read in your other threads it sounds as if your daughter might enjoy the brain stretch of doing grade V theory so I'd definitely get her to do it. I think the content of the course and exam is very interesting and valuable, especially if she wants to carry on playing to a higher orchestral standard (the flute, is that right?).

However, with a pupil who really doesn't want to do theory I would encourage them to switch to the Trinity music exam board which doesn't have the theory requirement. The Trinity exams are very good and targeted well to individual instruments. The other problem with Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) music exams at higher levels is that there is a significant singing and sight-singing component in the aural tests which is not relevant to or suitable for all pupils.

I'm afraid I'm not in your area so I don't know about local theory teachers. You could possibly try to contact the ABRSM direct to see if they have any suggestions. I usually find them to be very helpful.

Good luck, Peridot.
Thank you Peridot,

She does want to do the theory test and is intending to carry on with music certainly to GCSE. She is a good singer so the aural tests are OK for her, theory is definitely her weaker side at the moment though. She has always got top marks for her playing and would have got distinctions if her theory had not let her down. Her flute teacher ha been more minded towards the playing than the theory and I am not a musician myself so haven't really been able to help much.

It is the flute and she has asked if she can start to learn the piano too, so I think she may start that up soon. Goodness only knows how she will fit the practice in with homework etc. She seems to like the challenge. I just wish she would take more time out to pay (as in child's play not flute). I thought that an intensive course may be the way to go for her to learn the material (or at least get her going on it), she seems to learn fast and I think that type of learning environment suits her impatience to learn everything in one go. It does look as though the Reading school that another poster suggested would be good but I would have to find other students who want to participate. I might put a notice up in Aylesbury Music Centre to see if anyone else wants to sign up for a summer crash course.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If she wants to do GCSE Music Grade Five Theory will help her. I have two dds both doing GCSE Music and elder dd will be doing A level Music in September. They both say that Grade 5 Theory has helped them at GCSE but they needed to do it anyway. We did not want to swop to Trinity as both the school and the music centre host ABRSM exams so it is very convenient for us.

Our Music centre runs classes on two different days and there are always adverts up from teachers offering crash courses.

You also put your postcode into some tutor websites and see what you can come up with. DG
J50

Post by J50 »

Have you looked at the new Rockschool theory books Grade 1-8 and individual workbooks for each grade and theory exams?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Daogroupie wrote: They both say that Grade 5 Theory has helped them at GCSE but they needed to do it anyway. DG
You do not need grade 5 theory for ABRSM - there is the jazz grade 5 alternative which is just as good. My DS did GCSE music (top grade) and also grade 8 ABRSM using this alternative route.

"Prerequisite for entry
Candidates for Practical Grades 6, 7 and 8 must already have passed one of the following qualifications (see Regulation 1):

ABRSM Grade 5 (or above) in Music Theory, Practical Musicianship or any solo Jazz subject. For alternatives, see the prerequisite page."

Quote from the ABRSM website
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now