St Olaves SET test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
robofish

St Olaves SET test

Post by robofish »

OK, I give in. Can anyone explain how to work out the answer to question 18 on the recently published St Olaves SET test example page? The one that asks which shape best matches the set of shapes.

http://www.saintolaves.net/uploads/cked ... stions.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Myself, my wife and my eldest (year 7 @ St Olave's) son are stumped....don't want to scare my year 5 son with it just yet...
frangipani

Re: St Olaves SET test

Post by frangipani »

Each shape has at least one line (diagonal) stretching from one corner to another — that rules out A
Each shape has a line inside that creates a set of parallel lines — that rules out D
The other line (i.e not the one that creates parallel lines) inside each shape creates a triangle within the shape — that rules out B

This leaves C as the answer
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

I'm properly impressed! Thank you, frangipani! Could you also explain Q16 as well while you are at it? :mrgreen:
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

The shapes within the group all have the same number of little 'v' lines as their total number of sides, and the same number of black dots as the number of curved sides, therefore A is the answer as it's the only one that fits this pattern.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

Wow! Thank you! :o
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

You're welcome! :D
dawn45

Post by dawn45 »

Can please anyone help with the question 16 (non verbal reasonong) in Sample questions for stage 1 entrance test.

Thanks in advance.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

dawn45 wrote:Can please anyone help with the question 16 (non verbal reasonong) in Sample questions for stage 1 entrance test.

Thanks in advance.
Er, scroll up a bit...?
apprentice wrote:I'm properly impressed! Thank you, frangipani! Could you also explain Q16 as well while you are at it? :mrgreen:
frangipani wrote:The shapes within the group all have the same number of little 'v' lines as their total number of sides, and the same number of black dots as the number of curved sides, therefore A is the answer as it's the only one that fits this pattern.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
theonly1

Post by theonly1 »

Hello, on a different matter. please any idea on what materials to use for St Olaves test? Please PM me.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now