Standardisation and pass marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Robbo

Standardisation and pass marks

Post by Robbo »

Hi, I am new to the website. Could someone answer a quesion for me please?

The three exams this week consisted of Maths - 60 questions, Verbal reasoning - 80 questions and Non-verbal reasoning - 72 questions.

Could anyone tell me what they belive the passmark would probably be for each exam please? I have top confess that i do not understand the standardisation process and I am really just looking for a simple passmark per paper, i.e. 50 out of 60 for maths etc. I know it would probably be a rough guess but some idea wouild be nice.

Thanks you,

Rob
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi Robo, and welcome,

I will take very rough guess at it. Although I would not want to give anybody false hope.

50% of the questions right, in each section is a minimum pass
75% is roughly top mark.
I know it seems strange that you could get the top mark for 75% right,
but this seems to be one of the strange things about standardisation.

Good Luck

Cindyx
Robbo

Thanks

Post by Robbo »

Thanks Cindy,

That is very encouraging.

Hannah, our girl, would like to go to Twiggs (West Kent). Does the figures you give change because there are fewer Girls' Grammar schhols in West Kent?

Rob x
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I find the seemingly low Kent pass marks that are regularly discussed on this forum rather baffling (50% equating to a pass?). I did wonder if it might be the case that it's harder to get high marks on tests in the standard format (where you have to work out the answer from scratch) than tests in the multiple choice format (where you might boost your score with a few lucky guesses)? In which case the pass mark might be lower when tests are in the standard format.

I understand that Kent used the standard format until two years ago and I wondered therefore if some of the low marks people talk about as equating to pass marks might date from then?

Here in Bexley we have the multiple choice format and I've always understood that children need to be getting raw scores at least in the high 70s in practice tests to get through the test.

I guess there must be some degree of setting the pass mark to tie in with the number of grammar places available which will of course vary from area to area. But quite how that works is beyond me!
Scorpio2111

Post by Scorpio2111 »

Our tutor has always told us that about 70% is the pass mark but it can so a little either way depending on how all the kids do
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

not sure that Kent did use standard format until; 2 years ago. My children are now 19 and 15 and they did multiple choice.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Yoyo - my eldest son's friend did the Kent test in 2005 and said the Maths was standard and the VR mixed. Presumably the NVR must be multiple choice. Maybe they keep changing the format!
cindy

Post by cindy »

Robo,

have sent you a PM regarding TWGGS

Cindy
thehorder

Post by thehorder »

I thought I would just explain the confusion that arises when we talk of the Kent Test. Up until two years ago, The Dartford Kent Test was standard and only changed last year to multiple choice. Bexley Mum I assume you are from Bexley so this is how we keep getting mixed views. You are on the Border of the Dartford Tests as I am. So you are quite correct for your part of Kent. Kent is the largest county in England and there are many grammar schools, perhaps we should have different sections for each part!! Although I now believe the test is almost the same all over. I wonder how they make a uniform pass mark, if that is the case. Last year Wilmington GS had quite a few places left hence they took quite a few appeal cases. I wondered if this was due to the high pass mark set overall and the girls that go for this school attained a lower pass mark. I know from my own experience that locally a lot more girls list this school as they almost believe that the pass mark will be lower, which we know isn't the case. However you do stand a much better chance of getting in this school on appeal rather than its neighbour Dartford GS.

My dd loved Dartford but due to having only three places on the CAF couldn't risk putting Darford, we had to play the game and spread our chances... (listing two grammars different boroughs and a non selective). This is a shame as our neighbours in Bexley can list six schools. Many of my daughters friends listed both grammar schools as well as their own local grammars. When you are predicted a borderline pass, this is when the system is very unfair with regard to the CAF form. Next year this will not be the case, as you will know the results prior to filling in you CAF form, much more sensible
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

thehorder wrote:I thought I would just explain the confusion that arises when we talk of the Kent Test. Up until two years ago, The Dartford Kent Test was standard and only changed last year to multiple choice. Bexley Mum I assume you are from Bexley so this is how we keep getting mixed views. You are on the Border of the Dartford Tests as I am. So you are quite correct for your part of Kent. Kent is the largest county in England and there are many grammar schools, perhaps we should have different sections for each part!! Although I now believe the test is almost the same all over. I wonder how they make a uniform pass mark, if that is the case. Last year Wilmington GS had quite a few places left hence they took quite a few appeal cases. I wondered if this was due to the high pass mark set overall and the girls that go for this school attained a lower pass mark. I know from my own experience that locally a lot more girls list this school as they almost believe that the pass mark will be lower, which we know isn't the case. However you do stand a much better chance of getting in this school on appeal rather than its neighbour Dartford GS.

My dd loved Dartford but due to having only three places on the CAF couldn't risk putting Darford, we had to play the game and spread our chances... (listing two grammars different boroughs and a non selective). This is a shame as our neighbours in Bexley can list six schools. Many of my daughters friends listed both grammar schools as well as their own local grammars. When you are predicted a borderline pass, this is when the system is very unfair with regard to the CAF form. Next year this will not be the case, as you will know the results prior to filling in you CAF form, much more sensible
Much more sensible for whom. Does it not now mean that Bexley residents, armed in advance with their results, can now cherrypick grammars in the main Kent areas, whereas main Kent area residents still have to "play the game" with regard to ther "own" Grammars.