Electrical pylons near to where we live...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
QEB mum

Electrical pylons near to where we live...

Post by QEB mum »

The other day I was watching a programme on 'electromagnetic field' (EMF), and suddenly got interested to explore further on this topic. It is interesting to know, are these pylons are barely physical structures? Or they do emit EMFs? Do they have any health implications?

Some people get concerned about them and some people aren't - why this dissimilarity? Is it a new thing we need to start to think about and learn more about?

Let's explore...
Warks mum

Re: Electrical pylons near to where we live...

Post by Warks mum »

This was written back in 2006 and is pretty clear, with some serious scientific research to back up its conclusions:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRel ... s/emf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

This reminds me of all the fuss a few years back about mobile phone masts near schools (BTW I discovered when O2 or whoever wanted to set one up in our local park that our catchment infant and junior school - not where our own DC went - must be unique in having not a single mobile phone owner amongst their 700-odd sets of parents :lol: ). The 'You and Yours' presenter grilling the chap from the National Radiological Protection Board, insisting that the 'safe level' should be set so that mobile phone masts would be banned. The NRPB chap retorting that in that case, no-one would be listening to this programme, then...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

In any case, it's not the pylons themselves, but the cables between them that generate the emf. The pylons are just the supporting structure.