Gaining entry to Kent grammar from East Sussex

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yorkie74

Gaining entry to Kent grammar from East Sussex

Post by Yorkie74 »

I live on the border of Kent and would like my child to go to a grammar in Kent, ideally around the Tunbridge Wells area.
I appreciate I may get shot down in flames for this post as I am incredibly naive when it comes to this stuff but from preliminary investigations seems the chances are slim if not impossible.

Whats the alternative? What about academic scholarship from a private school?
Twinkle

Re: Gaining entry to Kent grammar from East Sussex

Post by Twinkle »

It would help if you said whether you had a girl or a boy.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

We are in East Sussex and our DD starts at Tonbridge Grammar School in September.
The realistic options for girls are TGS (based on score) and Weald of Kent (based on distance from the school)
Both these schools are in Tonbridge. Tunbridge Wells Girls Grammar has a very tight catchment area so not a real option.
Realistic options for boys are Skinners (TWells) and Judd (Tonbridge) both based on score.
If you want any further information, please do PM me.
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

PurpleDog wrote: Realistic options for boys are Skinners (TWells) and Judd (Tonbridge) both based on score.
Not next year for Judd, only 20 places will be awarded outside the inner catchment, which is Kent. (See separate Judd admissions policy 2016 thread).
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

FortyNinePence wrote:
PurpleDog wrote: Realistic options for boys are Skinners (TWells) and Judd (Tonbridge) both based on score.
Not next year for Judd, only 20 places will be awarded outside the inner catchment, which is Kent. (See separate Judd admissions policy 2016 thread).
The Inner catchment area does take in a small part of Sussex - Groombridge for example. The map showing the inner catchment can be found on the Judd website
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

Ah sorry yes you're right.
eastsussexmumsy

Post by eastsussexmumsy »

We live in Crowborough and our daughter has just received a place at Weald of Kent on 2nd round allocation. Turned down by Tonbridge Grammar as score too low and not eligible for Tunbridge Wells Grammar at all as you have to live in Kent to be eligible.
SCat

Post by SCat »

My daughter got a place in Tonbridge Grammar School starting this September - and we live in Uckfield - 19 miles. So it's doable :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now