Cambridge IGCSE English Language - different papers

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Azure

Cambridge IGCSE English Language - different papers

Post by Azure »

Hallo

My dS new GS school do this English language exam. It says that most DC do extended paper and only 1 or 2 do core paper and only 1 or 2 do directed writing and composition. Do DC only do directed writing if you do the core paper? The extended paper has no story writing. Is this normal? I thought English language had to have you writing stories?
Catseye

Re: Cambridge IGCSE English Language - different papers

Post by Catseye »

"Please note: June 2016 is the final examination series for syllabus 0522. This syllabus will be replaced by our new Cambridge IGCSE (9-1) First Language English (0627). This new syllabus will be regulated and funded but not count in government performance tables."

http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qu ... e-uk-0522/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Azure

Post by Azure »

Thank you Catseye :) do academies that are GSs have to have this exam then you know? Do they have to be part of government performance tables?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

could you please rephrase your question? ( put it another way ,maybe?) and i would be happy to try answer your question.

my son's schools has had endless problems with this examining board :roll:
Azure

Post by Azure »

Sorry - your link says that the government it doesn't like this paper so only schools who won't appear on their performance tables can take those exams. I don't know if my
DS new school is academy but I think it is so could they take this exam? Don't worry perhaps I should ask the school. Perhaps after election exam boards will be told to do something else :roll: :lol:
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Azure wrote:your link says that the government it doesn't like this paper
no the government has never accepted igcse's for their league tables :roll:

but most top Indies have moved towards it in recent yrs because they believe rightly or wrongly that they provide better preparation for A study ( hang on g55 it's only their belief)

I try to avoid anecdotal hearsay and try to sick to evidence but I can tell you in term of raw scores to reach UMS score of 90(i.e A*) it is much more difficult to get this at igcse than gces, for example by son consistently score A* at Spanish GCSE at the writing paper but has never hit 90 points UMS at IGCSE, yet( but we are still hoping)
Azure wrote:I don't know if my
DS new school is academy but I think it is so could they take this exam?
any school can do igcse and some top state grammars have moved towards it presumably for the same reasons outlined above.

I should add there is little creative writing in cie Igcse lang but have greater emphasis on analytical skills , which make sense since it is designed for international students who may know 2-3 other languages but in the real world need exception analytical skills as opposed to writing long , beautiful prose in English .

ok now I am ready for the usual mulling I get-bring it on!!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Catseye wrote:ok now I am ready for the usual mulling I get-bring it on!!
:|
Azure

Post by Azure »

That is very interesting thank you Catseye. My DS not so good at stories but very In depth film or book reviews he can do :roll: so was glad for that. Hope they don't change back to haunted forest stories or magic box stories :(

It seems not fair that your son get A* with one paper and not with another. Do unis take look at exam boards when looking how well DC do with GCSE to see if one a* is better than another a*? :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

GCSE English is regarded as 'harder' than iGCSE to get a grade C because there is more (creative) writing.

Some iGCSEs were included in League tables but they won't be in future now the new GCSE (9 to1) are coming in.
Azure

Post by Azure »

What do us parents know? Who makes these choices? Do it effect uni decisions in who has better marks? Do we need to look at schools at which boards they have for all the different subjects? I thought it was a lot of work looking at all the exam results and comparing. Now to know I must look at boards too :shock: :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now