Head Teacher's right to overturn a 11+ pass

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tracy

Head Teacher's right to overturn a 11+ pass

Post by Tracy »

Just a thought that has had me thinking recently. :?:

Has anyone had the experience of a child reaching a selective score yet the primary Head has overturned the result? I know they can do this if a child would clearly be out of their depth at a grammar but should this be the case with, for example, a late developer.

A child could struggle with English and Maths in the early years then suddenly it all clicks, say in year 4, and they are away. The child could then sail through VR and NVR, and as the schools do not teach this and do not support the grammar sytem, what right do they have to overule a pass mark?

I'm not suggesting that any Head would deliberately fail a child but would simply try to come to the decision with genuine concern for that child. From what I have seen of the posts on this site this subject has not been mentioned.

I would be interested to know if there is anyone out there who has an experience of this happening.....
Alex

Post by Alex »

Tracy,

I do not believe this is possible. The selection test(s) are part of a secondary school's admissions criteria and if a child has passed (if there is a set pass mark) or has scored highly enough (if candidates are selected in score order) and they fulfil the other criteria well enough to gain a place, then they get the place. Assessments from a primary school do not come into it if the child has passed (unlike if a child has not reached the qualifying standard when primary school reports may be important evidence at an appeal).

I am referring to state schools - I suppose private schools may operate differently, but if it were possible that a primary head's report would carry more weight than an actual test score, I imagine that this would be explicitly stated.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I am not sure whether this happens now, but something similar happened when I passed 22 years ago (now I feel old!!). A boy from my school passed the test for the local grammar school but our Head felt he would be more suited to another school which is mostly comprehensive but with a grammar stream. This boy was really into computing at a time when resources at most schools were quite limited and our Head knew that the grammar was under-resourced compared with the other. Therefore he was, on the advice of the Head, offered a place at the secondary school and not the grammar.
Hope this makes sense...

:mrgreen:
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi, The system in our County (Glos) is that the Primary school headmaster's opinion is only taken into consideration if two children have the same scores and they need to be put into rank order for the list of offers to be drawn up. I was wondering,going off topic for a bit...If these tests for Grammar schools generally,are not at all "fixed",how come there is nearly always an even mix of boys and girls.My son's school, there is always the same number of girls to boys in each class. So,the intake is supposed to be the top 120,regardless of sex, what if the top 120 were mostly girls?I think they must pick top 60 of each,anyone any ideas?
last year mum

Post by last year mum »

proud mum x2
I think from previous posts that your children are at Pates? My child is in year 7 and there is not a 60 boy 60 girl split . More like 80 boys and 40 girls.So obviously they do take the top 120 in rank order and not an equal boy/girl split.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

last year mum, well I'm glad that you said that because I thought that there was a different method of selection going on.Every year I knew (until you said that) seemed to be equal,and that seemed unlikely ! Perhaps i am just suspicious! is your child enjoying Pate's?
last year mum

Post by last year mum »

hi proud mum. Yes my DD is enjoying Pates,despite being one of the minority girls! Lots of homework from day one,challenging but do - able . She's made some lovely friends and goes off every morning with a smile on her face.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi last year mum, my son is in Y 11 and still goes with a smile on his face!! He has been happy there since Y7,and is upstairs revising now for his mock GCSE'S My daughter will start in Sept,and is a little worried,the only one from her Primary school,but i'm sure she will blossom,her primary school is good....but,she needs more challenges,gets bored easily,the oldest in her year too,so is ready to move on.Hope your DD continues to thrive.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi last year mum, my son is in Y 11 and still goes with a smile on his face!! He has been happy there since Y7,and is upstairs revising now for his mock GCSE'S My daughter will start in Sept,and is a little worried,the only one from her Primary school,but i'm sure she will blossom,her primary school is good....but,she needs more challenges,gets bored easily,the oldest in her year too,so is ready to move on.Hope your DD continues to thrive.
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

A friend of mine passed the 11+ (in the 1970s) but her head teacher overturned it and recommended the local secondary school, on the grounds that it would be nearer for her to get to. She is fairly sure it was due to her living in a less well off area than many others. It is to be hoped that this kind of thing no longer happens!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now