No progress in Maths ( year 8 )

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
debs2028

No progress in Maths ( year 8 )

Post by debs2028 »

I wonder if anyone could give me advice and opinions
My son is currently in year 8 at grammar school and seems to be doing quite well , however I have serious concerns about his maths
He left primary at 5a and at the end of year 7 was 6a which seemed good progress to me.
We are now at the end of April year 8 and he is still at a 6 a ( his school are still assessing in this way )
The first term of year 8 he had a succession of substitute teachers while his maths teacher was off sick , the whole class did not do very well in assessments at Christmas .
I spoke to the maths teacher asking why there had been no progress and she said she did not know as she had not been there . Obviously I realised that , I found her quite defensive and difficult to talk to. So I just left the situation , hoped things would improve.
His report this week again says he has not moved in grades , I am quite a shy person and often don't express myself very well . I feel this situation is not right but if I am honest I just feel like talking to the teachers get you nowhere.
My son has gone from being enthusiastic about maths , looking forward to the lessons ( last year ) to him not enjoying the subject and has completely lost his confidence.
He is in top set at moment
Any ideas , help appreciated
Thanks
sbarnes

Re: No progress in Maths ( year 8 )

Post by sbarnes »

Have you thought about a maths tutor? One hour every other week to sort out issues? Give it a go. It all falls into place, don't worry.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Contact the Head of Maths as it sounds as if this group are not being well supported. If we have someone on long-term absence we will 'rotate' the supply teacher so no group is disadvantaged for a long time like this.

Does the school have MyMaths? He could use this to look at the level 7 material.

This website has some 'old' KS3 levelled material:

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/ ... %20-%2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
debs2028

Post by debs2028 »

Thank you , I have started contacting maths tutors but a difficult time of year when most are concentrating on getting their pupils ready for exams . Might have to wait till these are completed.
Yes my son does My Maths , but think he will be better with written work . I will take a look at the site suggested.
I am just so disappointed but reluctant to "cause trouble " , to be honest I can't believe that no progress is accepted without any comment . His report gave him a 1,1 for behaviour and effort.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to use pencil and paper to work out the problems on MyMaths - the content is too complex otherwise.

Are there particular topics he is struggling with?

Maybe look at this to get an idea ...

http://www.suffolkmaths.co.uk/pages/Tea ... stions.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are old KS3 test papers here:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/index.php?optio ... Itemid=505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should not need to use a tutor - the school should have help sessions.
russet

Post by russet »

Hegarty maths looks really good and is similar to Khan Academy, but British. I have not really used it as I tended to use Khan Academy, but do not want to start another argument with Guest 55. It does look like it has clear videos explaining maths, not just clunky diagrams or worksheets.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hi debs - Have you considered whether he would be happier, and better taught, in the next set down? I don't know how it works at your school but the problem we found at my son's grammar was that so many of the boys in the top set (where he started out) were either complete maths geniuses or had been tutored so much outside school that the teachers were not really teaching as much detail as I'd expected, and he was coming home frustrated. He moved down a set (end of year 9 I think) where the pace was only a fraction slower but he got a much better teacher who was actually fully teaching them any new topics. My son is an able mathematician, but he was being put off completely in the top set. Since moving sets he has always come home enthusiastic and excited after each maths lesson and is making excellent progress. He is starting the A level maths and further maths courses in September.

Just a thought rather than having to consider outside help - your school really should be catering appropriately for all pupils!
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Have you thought about emailing rather than speaking to the maths teacher? It would give you know what you'd like to say and they can reply when they have plenty of time. You could suggest a follow up meeting, maybe with your son?

I hope the school can sort this out for.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

I have to agree with peridot's post. My son also struggled in the top set, and became really fed up with maths, thinking he was not good enough. So we actually asked for him to moved down a set in year 9.

They have since tried to move him back up but we have argued successfully that his progress has been so much stronger in the 2nd set. He also loves maths again which is a real bonus.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Oh good: thanks logic32. I'm glad it's not just us!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now