BB guns

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

BB guns

Post by Yamin151 »

Eleven year old has friends coming for sleepover and begging for us to let one of them bring a BB gun. Orange, only played with plastic pellets, goggles and thick coats. Thoughts? Can they go up the road to fields to play when no people around? Won't get arrested?
quasimodo

Re: BB guns

Post by quasimodo »

Your question itself implies the risks.

Firstly what type of BB gun is it?

Such guns are covered as airguns under the Firearms legislation.

They clearly have the potential to cause serious injury possibly far worse.

You are allowing 11 year olds to "play" with such weapons.

There can only be one answer.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

We didn't allow BB guns, for all the sorts of reasons quasimodo mentions, but settled for Nerf with foam ammunition (basically oversized cartoon-style blasters) in the house and garden only. I'd say a firm no if it was me, Yamin.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Every bone in my body says no.

This is a boy who pushes EVERY BOUNDARY, usually in this area of either weaponry or unsuitable computer games like call of duty. He is eleven! He has us in a corner because he says he feels we never say yes to anything but that's bee cause all he ever asks for is things like above or £300 smartphone! Sigh. Yet more battles. And I know we have to fight them but I just feel we are constantly in the crap and controlling parents camp. :roll:
#whendoesitgeteasierwithaboundarypusher
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

And yes, we have every Nerf known to man!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

It is far better than being arrested yourselves or allowing your child to be arrested and suffering the consequences of his actions or those of his friends let alone the lethal harm that could befall others or other animals.Its far better than going down that road.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Yamin151 wrote:a BB gun. Orange, only played with plastic pellets,
The orange guns are also known as airsoft, I've let my kids play with them in the garden and the house with no problems. They've grown out of it now. :)
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

stevew61 wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:a BB gun. Orange, only played with plastic pellets,
The orange guns are also known as airsoft, I've let my kids play with them in the garden and the house with no problems. They've grown out of it now. :)
http://www.onlybbguns.co.uk/bb-guns-uk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Useful link with a brief summary of the law.I'm sure your children were over the age of 14 and being properly supervised in a private place.

Abraham Lincoln
Amber

Post by Amber »

As I had never heard of BB guns before this thread (somehow my kids never got into the shooting at each other thing, even when small, and no we don't sit around being all zen and incense) I clicked on this link. For the first time I can ever remember, my broadband provider blocked access thus :
the site was blocked because it matched the following categories: Weapons, Violence, Gore and Hate
Crikey Yamin, what are they up to? :shock: :shock:
um

Post by um »

If it's any consolation Yamin151, while you have one stubborn boundary-pusher, I seem to have ended up with 5 of them :roll:

Have you tried your son with 'riskier' sports such as skateboarding, stunt-scooters, or wall climbing/canoeing/biking etc?
Ds2 needs these and he also needs his freedom a lot so I know where you're coming from.

I absolutely hate all toy guns but allow toy swords, and we have an umbrella stand full of them (there is no logical reasoning to this so please don't ask for any!) but unfortunately somehow ds2 acquired quite a few nerf guns when younger, and repeated attempts to send them off to the charity shop have failed. Ds3 and 4 play with them now. It is not unknown for me to be modding this site with two large nerf guns firing at my head :lol: .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now