Far from the Madding Crowd

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Far from the Madding Crowd

Post by Daogroupie »

Just got back. Stunning especially Martin Sheen. I just wanted to hug him to take away all that emotional pain. Totally believable characters. The (new to me) actor playing Gabriel Oak says so much with his eyes. Really worth seeing and its a U. Great break from GCSE study. DG
Stokers

Re: Far from the Madding Crowd

Post by Stokers »

So pleased to hear it - one of my favourite books! Pleased it's a U as want to take DD. Agree with you about Sheen - up there with Mark Rylance in terms of ability to convey deep emotions.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Ooh - must go and see this. Studied it for English Lit O-Level (showing my age!) :shock: :lol:
Marylou
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Oh yes - thanks for the reminder DG. I really want to see this new version. I've always loved Thomas Hardy; first read every single novel, long and short, in my late teens and along with the poetry they've given me a life-long affection for the Dorset countryside (as well as for wonderful poetic, descriptive but realistic language).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They are all flawless. I took my Y10 dd who loved it. We didn't want it to end. The setting is stunning and it really conveys the social and historical context which is this AO so beloved of English GCSE examiners. Shame they do American texts instead of Hardy. I will be interested to read some reviews and see if the critics agree with me. DG
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

At the risk of being a name dropper - Michael Sheen and his sister Jo are very good friends with my sister - he is as lovely a man as he is talented at acting.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I go to the cinema about once every five years - I think I can feel a visit coming on. Oh I loved Thomas Hardy when I was a teenager!
solimum

Post by solimum »

Also went last night (cinema practically empty, only 4 people - bring back OrangeWednesdays ! ). Agree it was brilliant, very convincing acting, some dramatic scenes, hints of Poldark with the scything and horse riding along the cliffs! Think it was a 12 but no problems ( a distressing scene involving sheep....) . Lots of wild weather too - very seasonal!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I also loved Thomas Hardy as a teenager. All that angst. I find it quite hard to read now though. We did "The Trumpet Major" for O'level and that remains one I can still enjoy.. (along with "A Tale of Two Cities" and "The Power and the Glory" both of which I still love; I think when you immerse yourself in a text that much they become part of you).
Looking forward to seeing Far from the Madding Crowd - it might be a U but what is the youngest age you think children will really get a lot out of it? My 10 year old? Or is he too young? I don't want to put them off good literature by exposing them to it too young (I did that with Anne of Green Gables - which is great literature :wink: )
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Marylou wrote:Ooh - must go and see this. Studied it for English Lit O-Level (showing my age!) :shock: :lol:
Me too Mary-Lou. And I hated it. Beginning to think there is something wrong with me as everyone else loved it. I think I'm going to have to tackle it again...
scary mum