How not to go to pieces on the day

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fairyelephant

How not to go to pieces on the day

Post by fairyelephant »

My sister is making an over subscription appeal for her DS to attend her local school in a couple of weeks' time. She is feeling very emotional about it and is worried therefore that she will not be able to read her speech/make her case. Unfortunately for various reasons no one is available to go with her. I suspect that on the day she will rise to the occasion and be fine. She is a teacher so she's good at speaking, but the circumstances are just so personal - but I guess the panel will be used to that. If not, is it possible to hand your written speech to the panel half way through if it's all too much?
Any words of wisdom?
Thanks!
salsa

Re: How not to go to pieces on the day

Post by salsa »

Hi. We are all human and I am sure the panel would have seen emotional presentations before. It is personal, no question about it. You are talking about your child and have gone to such lengths to secure a place. Your plan B may be excellent or you may be as cool as a cucumber and not feel overwhelmed. If not, maybe handing in the writen speech could be an idea.

My own personal experience of two appeals was very different. During my first one (oversubscription. Stage 1 and 2 combined) I was so nervous, my voice broke down several times and I fought back tears many times. My husband was there with me, he helped but I still could not finish saying other things I wanted to say. I felt I let my son down. The panel were sympathetic, the headmaster was there. I felt embarrassed and intimidated. Such is life.

For my second appeal I had met the members of the panel at stage one. I had studied all their expressions, their frowns, their sympathetic smiles, etc. I felt more relaxed, self assured and prepared.
My son is happy at his school. I felt embarrassed the first few times I saw the headmaster, but I'm a big girl and I can take it. Although I found the experience horrible, I would do it again for my boy.

Good luck to your sister.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Thanks salsa, much appreciated.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.businessinsider.com/tips-for ... 014-6?IR=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feeling nervous is normal.Even for those who have to do it everyday as part of their living.I can still remember when I froze at the mid interval of a play we were presenting at University.

Think positively it will help you present your case better.If it feels you don't believe in your case why should the panel.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
salsa

Post by salsa »

You are welcome.

The thing is that I was well prepared and I have a lot of experience presenting to small and big groups. This however was different and I was surprised at my own emotions during the hearing. I can only conclude that I reacted in that way as it is just so personal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne