New to grammar School system and Birmingham!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cheekymonk

New to grammar School system and Birmingham!

Post by Cheekymonk »

Hello am looking for genuine advice. We have moved to Bham/solihull area and the school system seems a total minefield!!! My ds is bright and wants to achieve. I want him to make most of all opportunities he can. He is on year 5and level 5 for English and reading and high level 4 for other subjects. The non selective schools are good here but the super selective that ds and I went to see (Five Ways) was fabulous! The pupils were so lovely and animated, the facilities, the head teacher I was so impressed BUT it would be a long day for ds, he loved the school but hates the idea of making new friends again. I have explained all the kids are going to different schools as his teacher told me. I asked her if she thought ds was up to it and she said he would need some tuition. Where do I start with the bond books etc? Do I even put ds forward for it? Finding it hard to know what to do :/
These are the books I was considering getting...
Bond How to do 11+ Non-Verbal Reasoning
Bond How to do 11+ English
Bond How to do 11+ maths
Bond How to do 11+ verbal reasoning
Bond the parents guide to 11+
Bond the secrets of comprehension
I was going to buy these of amazon- are they the rights ones do you think? Comes to almost £50...
Many thanks
um

Re: New to grammar School system and Birmingham!

Post by um »

The verbal reasoning format in the Bham 11 Plus (CEM) exam is not the same as that in the Bond VR books.

I would not go through the VR book but instead would focus on building strong comprehension and vocabulary skills.

You will find more information on the exam format in the stickies above.

In addition to the books which you have listed, your child will need workbooks to work from under your supervision.

If you take a look at the bookstore on this website, there are some excellent resources - my computer is playing up but I will try and get the link later.
Cheekymonk

Post by Cheekymonk »

Thank you
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Five ways is a fabulous school but do think about journey times. There is no right approach in my opinion, it depends on your child. The key for me was ensuring your child understands the format, the speed required, the fact that you do not need to answer every question and you can in fact get quite a few wrong!! Panic on the day is a disaster. Tell them to move on if stuck. I would not let friends influence you as they often go to other schools or primary friendships do not always last. I know a child who did not go for a gs place because of friendships to then find out his two best friends sat the test secretly and went to five ways!! By the way some people in Birmingham do not admit to sitting the test unless seen there! Good advice about comprehension and vocabulary and make sure their maths is very good. Good luck.
um

Post by um »

The link to the relevant CEM 11 Plus section on this website is: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/CEM-11-PLUS/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheekymonk

Post by Cheekymonk »

Can anyone recommend tutors?? Was thinking about *** Advertising Censored ***. have booked mock test with them...
Cheekymonk

Post by Cheekymonk »

Sorry forgot I shouldn't mention names... :)
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Perhaps cheer yourself up by visiting some Birmingham comps for comparison with what's on offer in Solihull :shock:
Cheekymonk

Post by Cheekymonk »

Still haven't decided!