The New First Aid in English

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11+crazymum

The New First Aid in English

Post by 11+crazymum »

Hi All,

Could anyone please suggest me where do I buy The New First Aid In English book? It is not available here and the one on Amazon and ebay are too expensive. Is their anywhere else I can try? I am trying son for QE mainly and Latymer. My son needs some good support on his Grammer skills.

ToadMum

Re: The New First Aid in English

Post by ToadMum »

In the meantime, there are other useful books / websites you could be looking at (Usborne / CGP / BBC Bitesize inter alia). Or could you speak to his class teacher if you feels that he needs extra help?

Lynne Truss's 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' is brilliant (I think there is also a version for children?) and any well-written prose will help guide him in the right direction.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Are you sitting in September? You will need to get to grips with CEM for Latymer. Comprehension skills are critical for the QE English paper as that is a far higher percentage of the marks. What sort of marks is he getting in Comprehension papers? DG
Bookmark

Post by Bookmark »

Look for First Aid in English colour edition, much cheaper.
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

Waterstones
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

We relied on the textbook as one of the core texts.My wife who dealt with the preparation for the 11 plus CEM Durham was quite discriminatory only learning certain chapters in great detail.It was a school text also.She decided what was required for the exam.I would advise on such an approach.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11+crazymum

Post by 11+crazymum »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try some of these books. He is sitting next year, still in Year 4. His comprehension seems good as he is doing Focus on Comprehension Book 2 and finding it interesting. Scoring quite good.

Ordered on Waterstones few days back but now they have only sent us Answer Book and said they do not have the book in stock. I am left with the Answer Book now!!!!

My son is very much interested in QE and therefore have started him with Comprehension.