ADHD - worth appealing?

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ewok

ADHD - worth appealing?

Post by ewok »

Hi, our son sat the Kent 11+ last week. He has ADHD, is under the care of a chld psychiatrist and is taking ritalin, he has been diagnosed for just over a year now and the school are aware of the diagnosis.
During the sitting of the first paper (verbal) he became overwhelmed by the environment, pacing invigilator noises other children made etc and became very upset, he was taken from the room and completed the test at a table in the corridor outside the toilets (which were used during the time he was meant to be concentrating). Needless to say he did not finish the paper. All subsequent papers were sat in a separate hall with two other children who had a medical problem and had special provision made for them, this was far easier for our son and he anticipates that he has done well in these papers.

There has been a note made by the inspector of the incident during the first paper which will be submitted with his scripts, the head is very supportive and apologetic.

IF he has done well in the other papers is it worth appealing on the basis of the lack of provision during the first paper? It does seem silly to us that provision can be offered in the case of one form of disability but not another when the school has been aware of the diagnosis for so long.

Many thanks.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Ewok

It may be worthwhile posting in the appeals section too.

Patricia
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

if teh school is aware that he has ADHD and there is a definite difference between the papers I would definitely say it was worth a try. Have you talked to the Senco about it??

Ask in appeals section to as they will have expreience of this from teh other side of teh fence.

May be worth making sure some provision is in place before he sits other exams. Is he on the SEN register?
ewok

Post by ewok »

many thanks I shall post there too.

No he has never had any special provision, he is very bright and achieving OK in class, not focused and no staying power but managing to do well at what he does because he's clever. As others on the site have noted, a bright child with a special need is overlooked, as long as they keep up with the majority no one worries about reaching their own potential,or the fact that they may well be under achieving.

The SENCO was supportive around the time of diagnosis but doesn't feel the need for any other input. We asked for an IEP but were turned down, this 11+ meltdown was exactly why we wanted it...without it there is no communication between staff, every new teacher means a whole new explanation of the situation and the staff involved in invigilating organising the test last week probably didn't even know our son had ADHD. Every manifestation of the disorder is treated as though it is a total surprise to them. I am tired of banging my head against a brick wall
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm sorry to hear that, I would have thought that concentration targets and help to stay focussed would have helped him considerably, might it be worth seeing his class teacher. There are a lot of things that can be done to aid his concentrqation and as he is bright he will be able to participate in setting and monitoring his own targets.

Have you looked on some of the ADHD support group websites.
Which part of Kent are you in? I was thinking of the ADDERS site. I have a feeling they are Thanet based. I'll try and find a link.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Ewok, I have sent you a pm
ewok

Post by ewok »

Just an update to say he passed!! I am so proud of him for overcoming such a disability and managing it all so well. Never lose heart, and keep fighting for your kids. I was sure he was clever but often the battle with preconceived ideas held by teachers etc seemed overwhelming. Worth it in the end though.
Good luck to all of you. Ewok
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

ewok wrote:Just an update to say he passed!! Ewok
Ewok & DS, congratulations.

stevew61
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:D

Well done, he deserves a huge pat on the back.

It is difficult enough staying focussed during the tests without the additional factor of adhd.

You must be very proud of him!
ewok

Post by ewok »

we are very proud and thanks for kind wishes, just got marks 140, 132, 122 so it wasn't even borderline!! don't kids surprise you? :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now