Last minute prep for 11+ June 2015 - HELP!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kerryriley

Last minute prep for 11+ June 2015 - HELP!

Post by kerryriley »

We are moving to Bucks in August 2015 so my twin boys will be sitting the late admissions 11+ at the end of June. They are currently in a primary school that doesn't feed into grammar so have not had any tuition/prep (though were at a Bucks primary school from Yr1-5). What would recommend as best course of action to prep in the next 3-4 weeks to at least give them a fighting chance?

For info, based on previous/current SATs testing, they're both expected to get 5a or 6c levels so have the ability but I'm mindful the 11+ is unlike any other tests they will have sat!

Any advice gratefully received :)
Guest55

Re: Last minute prep for 11+ June 2015 - HELP!

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome ..

Presumably you know that virtally all the GS are full and you'll need to appeal for a place?

Look at the CEM threads and the sample paper for ideas.
kerryriley

Post by kerryriley »

Thanks, will look at threads for info.

I know that one of my choices of GS has places but of course taking it down to the wire with regards to my sons being successful when sitting the 11+.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Speed is the key...you could buy bond 10 minute tests, and try and get your boys to finish them in 5 or 6 mins . The test is designed not to be finished , knowledge and accuracy seem to be the key and knowing to move on if you don't know the answer. I would do some everyday until the test, giving them the best chance. Buy cpg practice books also and test papers, at least this will give them some idea of the layout etc. good luck dollyxxxx
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Definitely agree with dolly, if they are bright everything will be in place academically, you just need to drill them for speed and confidence twenty minutes a day, covering all three areas, against a timer, marked there and then alongside them to pick out any problems that can be fixed easily.
Don't worry if they cannot do one element brilliantly, eg. We gave up spending time on missing letters in word puzzles, as my son struggles so much with spelling it wasn't helping him achieve a better mark by practicing them. Concentrate on getting faster in the areas they are best at. Start talking (chatting, conversing) in synonyms all the time, at home even if it gets tiresome because it will train their brains into drawing out synonyms and antonyms as these sections are the big mark achievers.
They have the confidence of being a year 6 leaver on their side, plus you have this site to search out lots of relevant info so go for it, but remember there are some good uppers too.

As an aside, the vast majority of primary schools in the area that feed into grammars follow the exact curriculum as any other state school, only a few with misguided administration staff break the rules and teach towards the 11+ test, so your boys won't be at any disadvantage for not being educated locally.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I would also focus on building up their vocabulary.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now