Can anyone help please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pop143

Can anyone help please

Post by pop143 »

My son is due to take the Medway and Kent tests this September and has just started to practice NVR, VR, Maths and English. I know how they score the tests is a weird and wonderful way and the result is different each and every year, but can anyone tell me what sort of % my son should be aiming for at home? Also we are currently using Bond and GL assessment are these the correct ones to be using for the area, and can anyone recommend any others that could be of use?

Thank you for reading and hopefully being able to help
Guest55

Re: Can anyone help please

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome.

Mods can you move this to the correct region?
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

Someone with more knowledge will hopefully be along soon. When my DS took it last year, we were told to aim for 80-85% in the tests at home.

You don't need this to pass in the test itself, but it takes into account the test itself is harder, they need to be faster, and the pressure element.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Kent - GL assessment - 8 papers in maths, English, VR and NVR, do the lot. Practise faster than the instruction time in the maths.

Percentage needed to pass on the day - no-one knows - it depends really how hard each question is and how many they have to do in the time. Teach techniques for working out how much time they have to do each questioj roughly, guessing and moving on. last year English was too easy and too short and percentage quired to pass was high ( around 75%) maths was overloaded with questions but pass score was very low - around 33%.

This can change.

My child said the questions themselves were very like the GL 8 papers for each subject- no surprises there apart from spatial reasoning which is not in the GL papers - you need to find a variety of your own stuff if you can.

Bexley - ask in the right forum.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

To be honest I think you can tie yourself in knots worrying about what score is needed. The most important thing is that they get plenty of practice and feel confident that they can tackle the questions and are able to work quickly enough.

The rest will be down to what happens on the day and your child's ability.

There is only so much you can do. I know that is easy to say from the other side having got one child through the process already, but I think I could have saved myself a lot of stress along the way, especially in the early days when she was nowhere near the scores required.