Sale CEM recommendations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cleo

Sale CEM recommendations

Post by cleo »

Hi,

DS is going to be sitting Sale as well as AGSB and Stretford. I have been using GL assessment type papers up to now for him to practise and prepare. However, now that Sale have changed the exam to CEM could anybody recommend a variety pack that would familiarise DS.

Have looked on Amazon and on this website but there seems to be a selection. I only want to buy one packet but there seems to be so many available now. The alternative is buying an E paper for numeracy, verbal and NV but again how representative are they of the Sale test.

I really thought I had this nailed second time around but no such luck. :oops: :o

Thanks
Catseye

Re: Sale CEM recommendations

Post by Catseye »

it would the first yr Sale and AGGS have gone CEM .

it may be better to ask a wider audience than Trafford and put your query in the CEM section?

hopefully someone will see it from a region which is already experienced in the CEM 11+

anyway good luck
enigma

Post by enigma »

Sale has already used CEM since last year. My DS also sat Sale, AGSB and Stretford. He passed them all with good margins but Sale though a way above the passing mark was his lowest score... AGSB and Stretford were more on GL paper type of test but he said Sale (CEM) was more English type (i.e. vocabulary, synonyms, antonyms and so on) and was a super time pressured kind of test which seems impossible to finish on time. As per his experience with the test at Sale, good amount of English vocabulary and speed is a must.
Image "A computer would deserve to be called intelligent if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human."
- Alan Turing
cleo

Post by cleo »

Thanks Catseye that is a good suggestions.

Enigma that would suggest the subject knowledge being tested is the same but the different test formats is where most children might struggle with. CEM is not only testing their academic ability but speed as well.

I am predominately using GL Assessment type papers because AGSB and Stretford are going to be DS preferred schools however I don't want him to unprepared for Sale. The problem I have when looking online is you can't view the contents like some other papers on Amazon thus not sure if they are the similar to Sale's familiarisation booklet.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to ask CEM questions in the CEM section. If you insist on buying just one set (which I do not think will be enough I would use First Past the Post from this forum's shop. DG
ppl3kumar

Post by ppl3kumar »

Hi Daogroupie,
Where can i get CEM VR sample or past papers?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There are no past papers. Use the CEM material in the forum shop. DG
enigma

Post by enigma »

Are there past CEM 11 Plus papers?
No. Past CEM 11 Plus papers are not distributed after their respective assessment day. CEM insist that by restricting the amount of available preparation material to only what primary schools provide (familiarisation with the format and structure of the tests) it makes the test fairer for all.
CGP offer some fabulous 11 Plus practice papers removed by a moderator
"CEM say that they devise their tests such that they "reduce any disadvantage between children who are tutored for tests and those who are not." They also state that they "do not believe that children should be tutored for [the CEM] selection assessments as they are designed to enable all children to demonstrate their natural ability and achievement without excessive preparation". --- IMHO... I don't think so, CEM is still a typical 11+ that contains items that are not being taught in the primary school... we've done a complete DIY with my DS and he was upset with so many vocabularies (which can be learned through extensive tutoring) the more books you read or words memorized the more your chances are, that maybe one of the reasons why some entrants failed AGSB but passed sale with good margins. My DS went on to pass MGS, a more tutor proof test.
Image "A computer would deserve to be called intelligent if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human."
- Alan Turing
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am interested to know why you think MGS is a more tutor proof test. Thanks DG
enigma

Post by enigma »

Daogroupie wrote:I am interested to know why you think MGS is a more tutor proof test. Thanks DG
Firstly, you can download MGS papers from their website. If we scrutinize the contents of their tests (specially Part 2 papers), we'll find that they're very different from the usual 11+ test save from the typical Arithmetic Part 1 and English reading comprehension and word meanings. It hasn't been taught in the primary school neither in any books nor encyclopedias. They are very unique in such a way that kids' logic and deep thoughts are being used intensively. I reckon, only naturally quick thinking and fast learning kids can survive this very stiff screening. In addition to this, a pupil's ability and character will also be put to further test through a 1-day assessment that includes actual fast teaching-learning style and kids will be tested after series of lessons again unique to MGS. Pupils are being tested in different topics and in different ways including their behaviour towards sports or arts. Finally, the head teacher of the pupil's primary school will be interviewed (via reports) regarding character, academic or maybe a behavioural status of the pupil... This may be the reason why some academically able pupils who failed the AGSB exam can still able to pass MGS test.
- Alan Turing
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now