Exam Practice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

meldan103

Exam Practice

Post by meldan103 »

I have home tutored my daughter over the past 10 months. She sat an external practise exam the other week as I wanted her to see what exam conditions were like. They have given me feedback in that she has performed above average and have advised that with her score and given past years results she is on course to do well . Question I have for any other members whose children may have sat these pre tests., do i take confidence within these results and how did your childrens scores compare to that of the real exam.
Bob1892

Re: Exam Practice

Post by Bob1892 »

meldan103 wrote:I have home tutored my daughter over the past 10 months. She sat an external practise exam the other week as I wanted her to see what exam conditions were like. They have given me feedback in that she has performed above average and have advised that with her score and given past years results she is on course to do well . Question I have for any other members whose children may have sat these pre tests., do i take confidence within these results and how did your childrens scores compare to that of the real exam.
It may help to give an indication of what these external practise exams were before we can give any advice...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

How many others sat the mock and did you get all their scores as well so you could see where your dd rated among them? Is it a CEM test that you will be sitting? DG
um

Post by um »

It very much depends on which 'mock' this was and how many other children sat it - and the level at which these children were working.

If it was one which has run for some years, then this feedback looks positive.
I have found in the past that in some mocks provided by some companies, the level is too basic and the 'competition' limited. I am not sure that enough effort is really put into mimicking a CEM exam, which is supposedly what it should be doing.

I've known children who (imo) were relatively weak, come in the top few positions in these mocks.
It's a nice confidence boost but you have to be honest - there will be 4000+ taking the examination and the level required will be high.

I think when taking a mock it's useful to know that there are other very able children taking it, rather than a small sample, and also to ask the centre/tutor if they are offering a CEM style mock and have researched the level required.

This is also quite early to be taking a mock - assuming that a mock is there as an accurate reflection of the exam - most children need to wait until mid July at least to be ready for that kind of challenge.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

in other words, there is no harm in doing them for exam pressure conditions, but don't expect the mock to be representative of the actual test; good luck
JaneM

Post by JaneM »

Yes I agree with sbarnes. These tests are great prep for sitting in exam conditions, trying to ignore your neighbours, and work out how many minutes are ten/fifteen/twenty. For my DS2 last year who had terrible exam anxiety doing several mocks was really useful and it really helped him with timing in particular.

However, the results probably shouldn't be taken as an indication of how a candidate will do in the actual test and then how the marks will determine which school they will be offered. You've been preparing, that's great, definitely go ahead and sign your daughter up and good luck!
mombrum

Post by mombrum »

My son did a mock test at around this time last year and his result was really poor, so much so that we almost decided not to continue with the 11 plus. Other less able children in his class who had been buying other products from the company scored highly in the test. My son passed comfortably for KEFW and the three other children who did well in the mock did not score highly in the 11 plus. My son told me after the 11 plus that the mock exam was nothing like the real exam, the company was Tudor House.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Was it presented to you as a mock suitable for KEFW? Mocks need to be in the exam format of the school. DG
mombrum

Post by mombrum »

It was presented in such a way. I think that their website said that it is a preparation for the 11 plus exam, they are also known as The Saturday School. My son said that it was nothing like the real thing, a waste a money!
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Meldan, its sounds like your DC sat the same one mine did in May. If so, then 458 children sat this exam.

From the info you have given, its sounds like your DC did well.

My DS sat 4 of these exams 3 years ago. Each one got progressively harder. The third exam in May was around the same complexity as the 11+, their fourth mock in July is slightly harder.

Each time the feedback suggested he was in the above average bracket and would most likely get the school of his choice.

He scored 237 in the 11+ and is now in year 8 at KEFW. So the mock exam predictions were accurate for him.

My daughter has sat 3 mocks and she too is on course for the school of her choice.

Hope this helps.