Bucks 11+ appeal tomorrow

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mummalea01

Bucks 11+ appeal tomorrow

Post by mummalea01 »

So here we are, after all the 11+ preparation, the nights worrying about test performances, the agonising wait for the results, the appalling car crash of a results letter, a rotten Christmas as a result...and now we have the appeal. Hmmmm...I feel very strongly that bright children should be given the chance to fly at a high performing school, but how hard it is to have some faceless county person tell you that your child is not going to be that bright one. Have we all hopelessly overestimated how clever our children are - over 900 appeals a year for a 30-40% success rate? Are we all mad? Do our children deserve the angst and worry that we're trying so desperately to keep from them throughout this process? Roll on GCSEs, I say, surely they can't be as unbearable as all this!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The appeals panels are independent - they listen to your evidence and the LA rep states the 11+ scores and little else.

The panel is made up of 'lay' people ie parents like you and maybe a retired teacher - they are not linked to the LA in any way. They will weigh up the evidence you present but they are not infallible - nor are any of us.

Bucks appeals have a much higher success rate than many other parts of the country
cam

Post by cam »

mummalea01
Roll on GCSEs,
To cheer up my 'I'm so usless - I can't do this' 10 year old son we downloaded a GCSE Maths paper - he got 83% or a 'B'.
I hope the next stage will be a walk in the park...
Roll on GCSEs,
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mummalea01

I assume from everything you say that this is a Bucks Appeal? I was in your situation on almost exactly the same day 2 years ago, so I really understand how you feel this evening. :(

A couple of last minute tips. Firstly, although as Guest55 says, the LEA rep says very little, the "statement" lasts longer than you expect. Please remember that it is a completely standard statement, just with your child's scores inserted in the appropriate gaps. There are also a couple of standard questions in the statement about familiarisation papers and special needs. Just answer them at face value and don't start to argue your case at that point - that comes later.

Secondly, take your time when answering the panel's questions. If you are able to, try to work out why they are asking that particular question? Questions, other than filler questions, are designed to winkle out the important details of your case and I sensed that the panel were really trying to help me put the best of my case forward with their questions.

Very good luck indeed. Please do tell us how you got on.

Sally-Anne
Hope

Post by Hope »

Good luck today. I would be grateful to know how you get on, our appeal is not til Feb so still have a while to wait.
mummalea01

Bucks 11+ yesterday

Post by mummalea01 »

Dear Hope, thank you for your support. Yes, our daughter's appeal was yesterday. I pray that I shall never have to go through anything like that again. I feel sick just thinking about how gut-wrenching and stomach-turning the whole process is and this will take a long time to get over. The disbelief and disapproval I felt we were shown have left me in no doubt as to what the outcome will surely be. Good luck to you :shock:
Hope

Post by Hope »

Did you feel that you presented your case well? Why did you think you were met with disapproval? Lets hope the outcome is not what you think it is going to be.

Chin up, just a wait for the postman now.
Hope

Post by Hope »

Hi Mummalea01

Have you heard anything yet? have been thinking about you waiting for the postman.
mummalea01

11+ appeal tomorrow

Post by mummalea01 »

Dear Hope. sorry, though I had posted our results on this site today, but cannot think straight due to copious amounts of a brew called Moet er Chandon...yes, champagne...yes, result...yes, there most certainly is a God and I'm grateful to you for your careful and sympathetic concern. My daughter is going to grammar school and I can't believe it. Have to keep reading the letter from County and wiping the tears from my eyes! :lol:
Hope

Post by Hope »

what fantastic news, have a fab weekend. Well done.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now