Maths with Economics

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesh

Maths with Economics

Post by Minesh »

Guest 55 and Amber - to shorten the minefield of Uni courses - and please don't say how long is a piece of string (because of other factors such as geog, living 1/4s, grades) but which unis to start investigating for Maths (dominant) with option of Economics modules - does such course exist? DS not that keen on statistics maths - chose Mechanics option -

Not 50-50
thanks - DS is about to start after AS finally finish in week and half time -

all advice welcome - thank you
quasimodo

Re: Maths with Economics

Post by quasimodo »

Minesh through all this what matters is the relationship you have with your son.Have you asked your son what he wants.Forgive me this is your sons life and you should ask your son what he is happy doing.Don't live your dreams through your son.If I have it wrong I apologise.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://search.ucas.com/search/providers ... e=1&flt9=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I searched for Maths with Economics with one subject as 'major' ...
KB

Post by KB »

I had a quick flick through this list & Warwick is missing which I think has a course so it might be worth checking good university guide or other such sources as well - a database is only as good as the way the data is entered and search fields constructed. ( G55, comment on database not your search!).

Worth checking a few parameters with DS - like does he want to live in London or indeed any big city - and being realistic about grades - no point looking at top flight if A* is too much of a leap and vice versa.

Generally these courses are competitive and will include some statistics although mechanics options might still be available.

Is DS not doing Further maths?- you mention choosing mechanics over statistics and I thought you needed both to cover maths and further maths modules but ready to stand corrected.
If not then that may well reduce options so check entry criteria first.

Also be aware that optional modules do change and indeed course structures can change so be careful about making choices based on very specific details of a course.

Have fun exploring with your DS!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

off topic but replying to KB

You can avoid stats by doing Mechanics and Decision maths but really some knowledge of stats is vital for Economics ..
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:off topic but replying to KB

You can avoid stats by doing Mechanics and Decision maths but really some knowledge of stats is vital for Economics ..
my emphasis

Statistics ,the most boring element of advanced maths, but the one branch of mathematics( alongside Probability theory) I use most often in my job as a QC!!

Applied Maths(mechanics), now that is fun all those flying cannon balls and other projectiles :D

Decision and Discrete Maths, more my sons thing.
KB

Post by KB »

Thanks G55 - ah yes I had overlooked Decision maths.

I guess applying for Maths with Economics without a statistics module might take a bit of explaining but you might make the case by pointing out that the choice was made early on, especially with some self study of appropriate statistics over the summer?
Minesh

Post by Minesh »

thank you all for your advice - very useful
DS is lazy at looking at uni choice, is doing FM, does do Statistics but M1 and M2 next week
I want to be able to give informed advice -
A Good starting point - DS will do his own and I will do mine and then share findings and discuss
thanks again :D
KB

Post by KB »

Minesh, it might just be that he can't cope with thinking about it until exams are over and in a couple if weeks he will spring into action - well meander anyway if he's like my laid back DC 8)