Microsoft Office

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RedVelvet

Microsoft Office

Post by RedVelvet »

Hello, does anyone know of any deals for purchasing office to go on a computer for a student. The only thing we've found so far is for university students. Many thanks.
yoyo123

Re: Microsoft Office

Post by yoyo123 »

software4students?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Have you tried OpenOffice or LibreOffice? Free and compatible with Microsoft Office. There was a scheme where you could get free software with a .ac.UK email address but I don't know if that is still the case.
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Apache OpenOffice is a hugely good alternative to MS Office, and it is completely free: https://www.openoffice.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It is fully compatible with MS Office as well (or at least, I've never yet come across a problem with compatibility.)

(x-post with scary! Agree that LibreOffice is also very good.)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

to get the best deals for microsoft you do need the .ac.uk address.

personally I would add my vote to open office - been using it for years and works fine
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Never had problems with OpenOffice. However my company has some sort of deal with Microsoft so we can download one copy the pro version for home use, as long as we remain an employee.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Thanks all, will look into it.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Tinkers wrote:Never had problems with OpenOffice. However my company has some sort of deal with Microsoft so we can download one copy the pro version for home use, as long as we remain an employee.
I think you'll find MS changed their licensing model and ended all those deals some years ago. The old Education license scheme (for which Software4Students was the main provider) entitled any school pupil or student to a copy of Office Pro for about £30-40 but that ended at about the same time as the "employees' free copy" schemes. Microsoft wants everyone to use Office 365 instead (and, to be honest, that might even make sense for most families with a decent internet speed and a range of Windows/Android/Apple devices).

Mike
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

I purchased a copy of MS Office through my employer for home use only at a cost of something like £8.50. An extra £10 for the disk.

Check with your IT department to see if they have a similar deal.

BTW - I don't work for Microsoft.