Social and medical rule in admissions (Herts)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bumblebeez

Social and medical rule in admissions (Herts)

Post by Bumblebeez »

Hi

Two issues, can anyone help please?

We have asked for social and medical considerations to be taken into account for DD's application to a school in Herts. The appeal paperwork suggests that as the school is not named as the only school to meet DD's needs - presumably in a statement - the rule doesn't apply to her. Is there any point at all in continuing with this appeal?

Second problem (depending on whether it is even worth proceeding) is that our Herts appeal date is at exactly the same time as our Bucks Stage 2 grammar school appeal, and neither county can offer an alternative time. Any advice on how best to handle this?

Thanks!
KB

Re: Social and medical rule in admissions.

Post by KB »

I think you will do better if you post this in the appeals section. There are several people with lots of experience who check posts and help in that section.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I'll move it to appeals
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

Thank you
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Bumblebeez wrote:We have asked for social and medical considerations to be taken into account for DD's application to a school in Herts. The appeal paperwork suggests that as the school is not named as the only school to meet DD's needs - presumably in a statement - the rule doesn't apply to her. Is there any point at all in continuing with this appeal?
Admission authorities tend to apply the exceptional social/medical rule very strictly (so strictly that the school in question has to be more or less the only school that would be appropriate).

However, appeals are different from admissions. An appeal panel is not limited to the admission rules - otherwise there would be little point in having an appeal.
An appeal panel is free to consider any reasons you put forward for wanting a place at the school, and must then weigh up whether those reasons outweigh any prejudice to the school.
Make clear that you are not querying the admission rules, or everyone might finish up focusing on the wrong issue! You are simply putting forward reasons for wanting a place.

Whether or not it is worth continuing depends mainly on the strength of your reasons. It might also be a good idea to check the success rate for appeals at the school in question.
Bumblebeez wrote:Second problem (depending on whether it is even worth proceeding) is that our Herts appeal date is at exactly the same time as our Bucks Stage 2 grammar school appeal, and neither county can offer an alternative time. Any advice on how best to handle this?
I'm afraid you'll have to prioritise either the appeal you think you stand the best chance at, or your higher preference.

'In absentia' appeals have a much lower success rate. Is there a friend or relative who could stand in for you? Failing that, send a very apologetic letter addressed to the appeal panel, explaining your predicament. Make sure they have all the information they need to take a decision.

Another possibility would be to ask one of the authorities if they would allow you to withdraw your appeal, but re-submit it at a later date (e.g. September). If they were to agree, it would probably mean an appeal in late September/early October, which isn't ideal, but in the meantime you would at least know the result of your other appeal.
Worth noting that there can sometimes be advantages with a late appeal:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

Thanks again Etienne.
check the success rate for appeals at the school in question
How would we do this please?
the strength of your reasons
In short, it is the twice exceptional argument: she is very bright, especially verbally, and needs to have peers at the top end of the ability spectrum to help her develop these gifts. A comprehensive would have this range, our allocated upper does not. It is especially important to give her the best possible opportunity to develop her strengths because she is also disabled. So, on the other hand, she needs SEN support. Our allocated upper has a busy SEN department, but the (very nice) SENCO advised me that although she understands our daughter's needs they would not have the resources to support her, for example, by helping her to use a laptop we provided, as they concentrated on supporting children who struggle to achieve level 3s and have a reading age of 9 or below. They would apply for extra time for exams, and that's about it. SEN at a comprehensive will have more experience of the full range of disabled, able children. The Herts school we are after is the only comprehensive we could practically reach.
'In absentia' appeals have a much lower success rate. Is there a friend or relative who could stand in for you?
No, and I can't see anyone else being able to explain this and answer detailed questions. It's taken me three daughters and ten years to get my head around it.
Failing that, send a very apologetic letter addressed to the appeal panel, explaining your predicament. Make sure they have all the information they need to take a decision.
Would a letter along the lines I have just explained above be suitable and plausible in any way? Or better to wait?

Is there far more pressure on places this year than before? Is it a bulge year? We are #62 on the waiting list, but neighbors have had places at this school in years gone by so I didn't think it was out of the question.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Bumblebeez wrote:
check the success rate for appeals at the school in question
How would we do this please?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't see anyone else being able to explain this and answer detailed questions. It's taken me three daughters and ten years to get my head around it.
I'm afraid the more complex the case, the more difficult it is for the panel to hear it 'in absentia'.
Would a letter along the lines I have just explained above be suitable and plausible in any way? Or better to wait?
There are two separate issues here.

By "predicament" I was thinking of the fact that you cannot be in two places at once.

Astonishingly (for parents on this forum!), there are appellants who forget to turn up for their appeal, or just can't be bothered to attend! :roll:
You don't want the panel to draw any adverse conclusion from your absence.
You may have explained your circumstances to someone on the phone, but there's no guarantee this information will be passed on to the panel.
Best to send a very apologetic letter during the week leading up to the appeal. Explain that there are circumstances completely outside your control. Point out that you have asked if an alternative date might be available (not least because the case is complex, and you appreciate that the panel may well have questions for you), but have been told this is not possible. Add that you are extremely sorry to be in this situation, and that absolutely no discourtesy to the panel is intended.

The second issue is your case itself. Assuming you've already sent in a written submission, it's mainly a question of whether or not you need to add anything, bearing in mind that you will not have the opportunity to present your case in person. If so, check the deadline by which additional evidence/information must be submitted.
Anything you submit in writing needs to be crystal clear, because the panel will obviously have no opportunity to clarify anything with you.
Is there far more pressure on places this year than before?
Sorry - I can't say.
Etienne
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

Appeal failed ... it was always a long shot and not being able to present in person probably made it impossible.
Karma67

Re: Social and medical rule in admissions (Herts)

Post by Karma67 »

Sorry to hear this xx