Walsall/Wolves test venue change

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bob1892

Walsall/Wolves test venue change

Post by Bob1892 »

Anyone else had the 'good' news from QMGS this morning about the change in venue due to unprecedented number of applicants.
The venue being Adams instead of Walsall will mean an extra 60 miles round trip for us :(
I suppose anyone outside a 10 mile radius will be relocated which is understandable because they are giving priority to local dc.
Anyone have any experience of Adams on exam day eg parking, congestion, school organisation, eateries in the area etc?
um

Re: Walsall/Wolves test venue change

Post by um »

Interesting... that will be quite a distance.
Are you in Birmingham, Bob1892?
And did you tick Adams on the test registration form at all?
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Bob1892 wrote:Anyone else had the 'good' news from QMGS this morning about the change in venue due to unprecedented number of applicants.
The venue being Adams instead of Walsall will mean an extra 60 miles round trip for us :(
I suppose anyone outside a 10 mile radius will be relocated which is understandable because they are giving priority to local dc.
Anyone have any experience of Adams on exam day eg parking, congestion, school organisation, eateries in the area etc?

Newport is a quaint little town. I'd rather hang out there for a few hours than Walsall! There used to be a great old fashioned sweet shop on the High Street - can you tell it's been a while?! :lol:

On a serious note this is very late notice especially for those using public transport.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

And Newport not good for public transport
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

Parking not great.
On the day last year things ran smoothly though.

It is a shame the date is used by a practise test for so many. It must be a great expense.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

um wrote:Interesting... that will be quite a distance.
It'll be a 120 mile round trip. I can't remember ticking Adams - I think we'll be having a National testing day in future because it is costing certain schools a lot of money to accommodate extra applicants who are obviously using these tests as mocks.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Bob1892 wrote:
um wrote:Interesting... that will be quite a distance.
It'll be a 120 mile round trip. I can't remember ticking Adams - I think we'll be having a National testing day in future because it is costing certain schools a lot of money to accommodate extra applicants who are obviously using these tests as mocks.
I wonder if this isn't a way for QMGS to cut out some of the 'mock' candidates - by making everyone from Birmingham drive to Shropshire?
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

muminbrum wrote: Newport is a quaint little town. I'd rather hang out there for a few hours than Walsall! There used to be a great old fashioned sweet shop on the High Street - can you tell it's been a while?! :lol:
It is a quaint little town and still has a very good old fashioned sweet shop 8) It also boasts a Costa and a Waitrose for coffee and snacks - Greggs if you're desperate. Costa is standing room only at the best of times - can you reserve a seat in Costa :idea:

Parking will be a nightmare unless they decide to let parents park at Longford and then walk to Adams. It is approx 25 miles from Wolves but is usually a good run with few bottlenecks.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Happy dad wrote:
It is a quaint little town and still has a very good old fashioned sweet shop 8)

For the first time I'm now a little sad that we're not sitting this year! Wonder if I can persuade my dad that we need a nostalgic day out in Shropshire? :lol:
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

I haven't had a letter about this, was it letter or email they used to inform you? I wonder how they are deciding who sits the test where. Are you quite far from Walsall anyway? I guess if I don't get anything through I can assume my child is still sitting it at Walsall. They must be thinking long and hard about falling into line with other areas and using the same date to save their costs.