How to ...Reading grammar school prep

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ananya

How to ...Reading grammar school prep

Post by ananya »

Hi
Could anyone please help me with selecting the correct study material as I am now totally confused. My son's in year5 and has been over the years practising bond papers. To make it more exam specific what should I be using and when should I start timimg him.

Thanx in advance
Ananya

I know of people with chn in reading grammar but they weren't very forthcoming. Typical answer being go to the highstreet bookshops and you'll find lot's of practice books. Is it becoz there really is no set way or is it just them?
ananya
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hi Aanyaa,

Welcome to the forum.

For Reading you're on track with Bond :D Especially if you are using them for Maths, English and NVR practise. For VR you could look at the Bucks forum, as they have lots of good info in this area, specifically IPS, Bright Sparks - Susan Daugherty and of course the NFER packs for all 4 subjects. The NFER packs should be used just prior to the actual test, though!

I'd probably secretly time him, and when he starts coming in under time for 3-4 tests, then let him know that he's going to start being timed.

Good Luck

BW
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Sound advice from Bewildered.

Might add for VR IPS and from this site the tutors, the download epapers, the CD can help make it fun or provide a "focus" on a particular question type.

Have a look at http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=10

old threads a lot of good knowledge and experience. If in doubt keep asking we have all been there and with multiple children keep coming back for more. :D

Pick and choose to suit your child's strengths and weaknesses could list all suitable publishers for all four subjects but it would look like a mountain.

Good luck,

stevew61
ananya

thanx for the info

Post by ananya »

I've managed to get the books and hopefully we are now on the right track. Will write again if anymore q's.
Ananya
Bewildered wrote:Hi Aanyaa,

Welcome to the forum.

For Reading you're on track with Bond :D Especially if you are using them for Maths, English and NVR practise. For VR you could look at the Bucks forum, as they have lots of good info in this area, specifically IPS, Bright Sparks - Susan Daugherty and of course the NFER packs for all 4 subjects. The NFER packs should be used just prior to the actual test, though!

I'd probably secretly time him, and when he starts coming in under time for 3-4 tests, then let him know that he's going to start being timed.

Good Luck

BW
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Ananya,

With the Bond NVR, they include 'Cube Nets'. These aren't found in NFER tests, so I wouldn't spend too much time on them. I did a basic introduction; just in case. But as they weren't part of the regular NFER NVR off the shelf papers, we didn't do any more, and felt their were better ways to spend our revision time. The trouble of course is that no-one is sure if they do set NFER type papers or not!

:)

BW
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Bewildered wrote:no-one is sure if they do set NFER type papers or not!
The feedback from 2006 VR and 2004 NVR was that the papers were copyright NFER. However they did contain questions beyond those available in shop bought familiarisation papers. 2006 VR contained more questions in a shorter time and some questions beyond the "21 types". :shock: 2006 English was NFER but again more questions and a different format.

So use NFER as a basis but you need to go beyond that and be prepared for the unexpected. Reading School could change the format as "no guidance is given" :(

Soon we may get a discussion on the 2007 format. :wink:

stevew61
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

stevew61 wrote: The feedback from 2006 VR and 2004 NVR was that the papers were copyright NFER. However they did contain questions beyond those available in shop bought familiarisation papers. 2006 VR contained more questions in a shorter time and some questions beyond the "21 types". :shock: 2006 English was NFER but again more questions and a different format.

So use NFER as a basis but you need to go beyond that and be prepared for the unexpected. Reading School could change the format as "no guidance is given" :(

stevew61
Thx Steve! Hadn't realised NVR was NFER too.
DS2 hated doing the 'cube nets', so I was happy to leave it after his initial intro. Will have to re-introduce nearer to 21st Nov, Just in case :wink:
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

For NVR ( but it did not come up in 2006 :) ) we looked at NFER and similar to build speed and confidence, we then looked at other types just so if they came up "no panic". Likewise for VR.

I am sure that NFER must have a large library of question types, even more so on standard questions ( we looked at standard questions but treated as multiple choice if possible) NFER could probably set a whole paper of unknown types :twisted:

Confidence is important on the day your son has to believe if they are finding it hard then so is everybody else, just do your best.

stevew61
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now