Parmiters - proximity

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Vega

Parmiters - proximity

Post by Vega »

We live locally to Parmiters and we are intending to apply for our son under the 10% proximity criterion for the 2009 intake.

Does anybody know whether because of the recent changes (staff and 25% academic) there will be more proximity places available and in past years how close to the school one needed to live to be in the 'chosen 18'.
watmum

Post by watmum »

I posted myself, some while ago, on this very issue ( search for "parmiters on distance" and you should find the thread. )

I understand that their criteria for 2009 will be published very shortly . Watford girls have already published theirs, and so have Queens.

You do need to be very near to get in: Boundary way, coates way, The Glebe, Woodside Rd, all do well, but who knows!
Vega

Post by Vega »

Thanks for that. Do you say these roads because you know pupils who have got in from them. What about Orchard Avenue?!?
watmum

Post by watmum »

Yes, I only mention these because, as you say, in the past I know of people who have got in on the distance criteria from these roads.

I do not know about Orchard, but it looks nice and close to me!? I suppoose, in an ideal world, you would be better off living on the house which is nearest the entrance to orchard!, it comes down to the position of your house within the road quite often, ridiculous, I know!
AlisonR

Queen's admissions

Post by AlisonR »

you mention that Queen's admissions for 2009-10 intake have been published. I can only find the criteria for 2008-9 intake on the school's own website.

Can you point me in the direction of the 2009-10 admissions policy?

Thanks
watdad

Post by watdad »

Don't rely on distance. Be sure to also take the test.

Distance is not, as the crow flies, I think it has to be a tarmac, floodlit pathway.

When we went to the open evenings almost every school claimed that unless you lived within 500 yrd of the school gates using their approved routes then you had no chance.

Be careful of the rule ……… “based on the School's designated measurement systemâ€
WP

Post by WP »

[quote="watdad"]Be careful of the rule ……… “based on the School's designated measurement systemâ€
watdad

Post by watdad »

That rule is applied by the County, and only if you don't get a place at any of your listed schools. It's not in the Parmiter's arrangements
Maybe but as its not printed anywhere how can you be sure ?

Anyway the fact remians do not rely on the proximity rule!
watmum

Post by watmum »

I have wondered about this myself, I raised this issue on my thread, "parmiter's on distance" a while back. This is what it actually says on their website for 2008 admissions, though no doubt they may alter the wording for 2009

In order to distinguish between applicants who attain the same, lowest ranking score, which would qualify them for admission, the proximity of the home address to the School will be the deciding factor. The home to school distance will be measured using the shortest designated route. The definition of the shortest designated route is that which is defined by the school's designated measurement system.

I would like to get to the bottom of what their designated system is, I am sure that a while back it was calculated "as the crow flies", but I think that now it is calculated electronically from your door to theirs, by postcode or something (though this is only hearsay) It gets tricky when people throw pathways and alleys into the pot, I know from others families in the past that this has been an issue in Boundary way and Harlech Road, and others
Vega

Post by Vega »

The school have confirmed to me that it is done using the county GIS system, which is shortest designated route. I am not sure if this was different historically.

The LEA literature says it has to be a made up surface (tarmac or concrete) with a public right of way. Not sure about it needing to be lit though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now